TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I git a quote just for the labor(I will get the parts) for my 4wd trd Tacoma.

850 bones to do the front and rear. Do I need to look elsewhere?
Have no idea what it should cost.

Sam

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
some shops might charge 2-4 hours just to set up the diffs once they are out of the truck.

now, if the shop is also removing the 3rd's from the truck, that's another bunch of hours they're gonna charge you on top of the gear job.

do you know how much they are charging per hour?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope,I got referred to Iron Pig in Fredericksburg,I'd like to get the parts from there and have installed here in VB.
Haven't done much other searching though.

Sam

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
I git a quote just for the labor(I will get the parts) for my 4wd trd Tacoma.

850 bones to do the front and rear. Do I need to look elsewhere?
Have no idea what it should cost.

Sam
that is a little high but not unreasonable if you are dropping off the truck.
have them replace the rear axle seals (about $14/pr) while their at it ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay thanks for the tip.

trying to get a few more quotes for local shops

Sam

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
okay thanks for the tip.

trying to get a few more quotes for local shops

Sam
around here, SF bay area, I've seen prices from $700-1500+ dropping off the truck and as low as $150/diff if you take them the diffs. Labor rates out here are $95-135/hr

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again,sounds like the shop that I got my first quote from was reasonable. They may change the price if he didn't realize I got the e-locker.

Sam

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Thanks again,sounds like the shop that I got my first quote from was reasonable. They may change the price if he didn't realize I got the e-locker.

Sam
get a quote from him including parts as well...he may be able to get them cheaper or for about the same price it will cost you to order/ship them to you.
Shops appreciate this as they can then make a few bucks on the parts and sometimes 'adjust' the labor price.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay,

I live about 2 hours or so away from a shop Gadget recommended to me to use. I'd like to get the parts from him(Iron Pig) but don't know about going up to get the install done then driving back on them new gears. It is a high speed interstate through there and have no experience breaking in gears or let alone having new ones.

I am supposed to call the guy Lance there cuz email didn't get to him I think.

Sam

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
okay,

I live about 2 hours or so away from a shop Gadget recommended to me to use. I'd like to get the parts from him(Iron Pig) but don't know about going up to get the install done then driving back on them new gears. It is a high speed interstate through there and have no experience breaking in gears or let alone having new ones.

I am supposed to call the guy Lance there cuz email didn't get to him I think.

Sam

you'll have to go through the normal 'break in' regiment anyway; hwy driving won't be a problem. You drive about 20mi then park it for an hr or so for 'cool-down', then drive home.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all that is new to me.

appreciate it.

Sam

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Registered