TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking into buying a regular cab prerunner. I've been trying to find a 4wd regular cab but i guess they just dont exist.

My questions is, how hard would it be to convert a prerunner into 4wd, or is it just a waste of time and money? I really like the reg cab prerunners because of their look and moderate wheelbase, but i would also really like 4wd capability.

Also, what kind of gas mileage do you guys get stock on a 4cyl reg cab prerunner?

Thanks!

Patrick

·
Registered
1 Posts
regular cab prerunner

i have a 04 reg. cab pre-runner. I get about 15-20 mpg on average.
yes they make 4wd reg. cabs. theres probally more 4x4 reg. cabs than prerunners made.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I don't think you can get a 4x4 with the prerunner package, cuz the prerunner package is designed to make the 2x's look like 4x4's. If you want a 4x4, then look for a reg. cab 4x4. If you want a reg. cab prerunner, you'll be looking at 2 wheel drive 's. If you want your reg. cab 4x4 to look like a "prerunner" then you can customize it to look however you want. Got it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
roctaco said:
I don't think you can get a 4x4 with the prerunner package, cuz the prerunner package is designed to make the 2x's look like 4x4's. If you want a 4x4, then look for a reg. cab 4x4. If you want a reg. cab prerunner, you'll be looking at 2 wheel drive 's. If you want your reg. cab 4x4 to look like a "prerunner" then you can customize it to look however you want. Got it?
Wrong, a prerunner is a 4x4 without a transfer case, additional shifter and front drivetrain. To make a 4x4 look like a prerunner you remove the said items. If you want the body to look like an off-road prerunner they have fiberglass to correct this. I will make one recommendation to you in the aspect of looking for a regular cab. If you even carry a small toolbox or set of clothes or groceries or anything and want to put it in the cab get an extra cab they get the same milage and you get more room to throw junk in. I was originally looking for a Regular cab stepside prerunner I am glad I got the extended cab version.

·
Registered
199 Posts
roctaco said:
what the hell are you talking about?

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
roctaco said:
Uhhhh, no I don't "got it"... Slow down, breathe, and try again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
alloy171 said:
Hey guys,

I'm looking into buying a regular cab prerunner. I've been trying to find a 4wd regular cab but i guess they just dont exist.

My questions is, how hard would it be to convert a prerunner into 4wd, or is it just a waste of time and money? I really like the reg cab prerunners because of their look and moderate wheelbase, but i would also really like 4wd capability.

Also, what kind of gas mileage do you guys get stock on a 4cyl reg cab prerunner?

Thanks!

Patrick
I know what you mean man, I search high and low for a 2001 and up 4wd standard cab, and all I could find were PreRunners. I guess there's no demand for them here in So Cal. But there's a lot of them on the East Coast, so go figure.

·
Registered
247 Posts
mcginnism said:
Check out this link...it should shed some light.

http://www.mtdemocrat.com/auto/prerunner032599.shtml

That guy is a complete F*#in Moron who ever wrote this the prerunner comes off the same assembly line as the 4x4's the only difference and I will repeat is it has a lack of a transfer case, a second shift lever to operate said transfercase and the front drivetrain. If you are going to do some research or homework at least find a reliable source thats not talking out of their A**. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
obex26 said:
That guy is a complete F*#in Moron who ever wrote this the prerunner comes off the same assembly line as the 4x4's the only difference and I will repeat is it has a lack of a transfer case, a second shift lever to operate said transfercase and the front drivetrain. If you are going to do some research or homework at least find a reliable source thats not talking out of their A**. :rolleyes:
Whats the big deal? Beside sounding like a marketer or something, it was pretty much true.

By the way, dude (obex), prerunners also have a different spindle. Spindles would run under suspension and not drivetrain so technically you are incorrect by the statement of "...the only difference..."

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
roctaco said:
what the fuck is your malfunction?

A prerunner = a 4wd without the front diff and xfercase... thats it! thats all! nothing more!

how hard was that!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Kyota said:
Whats the big deal? Beside sounding like a marketer or something, it was pretty much true.

By the way, dude (obex), prerunners also have a different spindle. Spindles would run under suspension and not drivetrain so technically you are incorrect by the statement of "...the only difference..."
Why because the center of the spindle is not opened up like it is in a 4x4 to allow fittment of a cv shaft :D

And technically the spindles would be part of the front drivetrain.

100 Posts
Extended cab best bet for me

obex26 said:
Wrong, a prerunner is a 4x4 without a transfer case, additional shifter and front drivetrain. To make a 4x4 look like a prerunner you remove the said items. If you want the body to look like an off-road prerunner they have fiberglass to correct this. I will make one recommendation to you in the aspect of looking for a regular cab. If you even carry a small toolbox or set of clothes or groceries or anything and want to put it in the cab get an extra cab they get the same milage and you get more room to throw junk in. I was originally looking for a Regular cab stepside prerunner I am glad I got the extended cab version.
Yeah, 10-4. I hunt and fish. Great to put long guns behind seat and cover with blanket or clothes. Have a friend that got a good deal on reg cab and now thinking of trading it in for extended. So much more secure room and in a pinch can put two people back there for short distances.

·
Registered
257 Posts
what the fuck is your malfunction?

A prerunner = a 4wd without the front diff and xfercase... thats it! thats all! nothing more!

how hard was that!
Take it easy, everything he said was true just maybe from a different viewpoint as ours. Like the "package" part its more a different model i guess...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts