TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drive alot for work and usually buy a new truck every year. i have had 6
nissans (currently an 06 frontier that i really like).and i have had 3 toyotas as well. i am pondering an 07 Taco TRD access cab. I stopped by to visit this
online community and check the reliability of the taco's.

the threads about frames failing and rear diff's self destructing scare me a
bit. are these isolated or is it problematic with the tacos.

thanks for your replies

J

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I think you are going to find that almost all of us have trouble free trucks.

Yes, there are a few trucks that have had some problems, but when you compare the number of troublesome trucks to the amount of trucks built, the odds are very good indeed that yours will be OK.

I know that mine is reliable.

·
Registered
854 Posts
IMO, the older you go with a Toyota product the better! My recommendation, go with one of the older box style 4x4 pickups from the year 86-95 that is good condition with average miles for the year. The legendary 22RE will last forever if you treat it right. They are EFI 2.4L 4 cylinders and most came with 4.10 gears, IFS torsion bars, and solid frames. If this truck is going to be used for work, go with the old workhorse pickup!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
tderose said:
IMO, the older you go with a Toyota product the better! My recommendation, go with one of the older box style 4x4 pickups from the year 86-95 that is good condition with average miles for the year. The legendary 22RE will last forever if you treat it right. They are EFI 2.4L 4 cylinders and most came with 4.10 gears, IFS torsion bars, and solid frames. If this truck is going to be used for work, go with the old workhorse pickup!

but something w/ 50 miles is going to be a lot more reliable versus something w/ 200k miles on it.... Theoretically...... I think he's looking for NEW, not old used.

·
Registered
64 Posts
fast frank said:
I think you are going to find that almost all of us have trouble free trucks.

Yes, there are a few trucks that have had some problems, but when you compare the number of troublesome trucks to the amount of trucks built, the odds are very good indeed that yours will be OK.

I know that mine is reliable.
same here, and i'm pretty sure that the failed rear end is specific to 2005 trd off-roads...so far

·
Banned
966 Posts
well, you can take another route for comparing. look in your local paper and online car sales website, search and see how many tacomas are for sale by private owners and compare this to the nissans.

imho, tacoma is still a mini/light duty pup. the new 2007 tundra is starting to catch the eye of those f150/250 guys, but i think it will take another year or so for the tundra to get defined and is used as a real truck.

bottom line is, you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
From what I have read here, most of the issues have been isolated to the 05 model year. Based on my past vehicle experience this is typical for the first production year of any vehicle, there are always going to be bugs to work out.

The thing that weighs on my mind is Toyota's reluctance to face these problems head on and be proactive about them ( TRD rears, Cracked frames). However I do believe if you have a good service department at a reputable dealer you will probably have little to no issue with this.

Bottom line is I think w/ the 07 model year these issues have been addresseed and corrected even if toyota is not publicizing (sp) this.

I honestly wouln't question the reliability of the 07+ Tacos. :2cents:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've had my problems with the truck (cracked frame), but if you've read these threads, you'll see that as of now the problems seem to be isolated to the 05. That might be due to the fact they've had more time to fail, but I doubt it or there would be some cases of 06's on this websight. Like others have eluded to, if there has been a problem, Toyota has probably fixed it behind the scenes. I will say this, even with my frame issues, I would stand behind the Tacoma Truck 100%. I think it is the best truck in it's class and the number two truck can't even be seen in it's rear view mirror. If you drive a frontier now, just test drive the Tacoma and you will see for yourself.

·
Registered
313 Posts
tderose said:
A 07 Tacoma is going to be a ton more reliable than a 80's 90's truck because their roughly between 22-13 years old and are going to have alot of issues. even one thats in great shape is going to soon break. its just too old.

If you had a time machine it might be a different story... :welder: :eek: :saw:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well, I would go with the 1st gen Tacoma 1995.5 - 2004. If I had the opportunity to purchase a 200,000 mile warranty on my 1996 I wouldn't have used it, except for the starter at well over 100,000 miles (due to abuse, deep sandy water). I have wheeled it for over eight years with a lift, locker and 33X12.5 BFG MT KMs for over 170,000 of the 314,000 miles I now have on the truck. My Taco still runs great and uses NO oil between 3000 mile changes. The 3RZ-FE 2.7L motor rocks IMHO. :2cents:

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you are getting a new truck every year (or even 2 or 3) it might be hard to have problems that wouldn't be covered. Regardless of the make or model of any truck or car, I recomend working with one "service advisor" and learning their favorite beverage right from the start; then always bring a 6 pac of said beverage on ice (use new cheap foam coolers) when you go to pick up the truck; recognize the stress of their work. This will cost about $10 max and probably end up saving you far more. You will likely get top notch service including free loaner/rental truck(F-150 for me over a 3 day weekend) and warranty service beyond the reasonable. This person will soon look forward to seeing you and this changes everything....

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
it is cool that you are considering going back to Toyota, but won't you take a major hit on the '06 Frontier? Are you that hard on trucks that you need a new one every year? Sorry, but that just doesn't seem fiscally responsible to me even if you use it for business and can write some of it off. Since you don't keep you trucks that long you more than likely will not be faced with any reliability issues.
I had 160,000 very hard miles on my '86 4Runner before I had any major problems. Check any forum and your are gonna find pros and cons with any make or model...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ocdropzone said:
it is cool that you are considering going back to Toyota, but won't you take a major hit on the '06 Frontier? Are you that hard on trucks that you need a new one every year? Sorry, but that just doesn't seem fiscally responsible to me even if you use it for business and can write some of it off. Since you don't keep you trucks that long you more than likely will not be faced with any reliability issues.
I had 160,000 very hard miles on my '86 4Runner before I had any major problems. Check any forum and your are gonna find pros and cons with any make or model...

nissan (like toyotas) have very very high resale values, and there are very
few available used in Alberta. i get paid 40 cents a kilometer and put 30 - 40
thousand km a year on my trucks.

its either drive a new truck every year or pay it in taxes to the government.
as well if i keep it for 4 years it will have 160,000 km (100,000) miles on it
and it will not be worth much. better to sell it with some bumper to
bumper and the balance of the powertrain warranty than try to sell it
off with none.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Well, i have a few things to say. First off, i wont hate against the nissan product...if i had to buy something besides a toyota it would prolly be a nissan.

Here are the stats. tacoma has 4.0L 239hp with 283lb tq.
With the frontier, i think your looking at 265hp with 267 lb tq.

So right off the bat, if this is being used for towing go with the Tacoma.

To clear a something up i must confront the 05 issue. There was a problem with the rear end of the 2005 TRD 4X4 tacomas. There is no other problem. You will not need to worry about having an issue with your taco, because your getting an 07. Also, if you are going to only keep this a year i a guessing your not getting TRD 4X4?

You also need to understand that everyone on here posting threads wheel their truck...pretty hard. I haven't run into a single person on this website who doesn't give their truck hell :D . What i mean, is these people are posting saying they have problems after they beat the hell out of their rig that weekend.

I have driven the new body style tacos (i get demos) for a year now and wouldn't change a thing on the rig. They ride like a dream on the highway.

do yourself a favor and buy a tacoma! :D

hope i could help

brad

·
Registered
854 Posts
K20Z3Si said:
A 07 Tacoma is going to be a ton more reliable than a 80's 90's truck because their roughly between 22-13 years old and are going to have alot of issues. even one thats in great shape is going to soon break. its just too old.

If you had a time machine it might be a different story... :welder: :eek: :saw:
You think so??? Wanna take your 05+ Tacoma and put it up against my 94 4x4 reg cab 22RE pickup in a longevity test? This truck is 13 years old and only has 140k on the clock...oh yeah, it's NEVER been off-road! All I've ever done to this truck is change the oil, flush coolant, change belts, change plugs and wires, etc...general maintainence. I like how your 05's are already having issues after only a year. Come on, you're putting this statement up against the engine and truck that helped BUILD Toyota's reliability reputation. Anybody who has been with Toyota's throughout the years and knows the real history will back me up on this. The 2.7L is an evolution of the 22RE which I have in my '98 Tacoma.

To the original poster, if you get a new truck EVERY YEAR, why is reliability a concern? Heck, if I knew I was going to be getting a new truck EVERY YEAR (are you spoiled?) I'd go with the least expensive '07 model I could find. On the other hand, if you're going to keep this truck for several years (like most Toyota owners do), and have become a "workhorse" then get a Toyota.

·
Registered
313 Posts
tderose said:
You think so??? Wanna take your 05+ Tacoma and put it up against my 94 4x4 reg cab 22RE pickup in a longevity test? This truck is 13 years old and only has 140k on the clock...oh yeah, it's NEVER been off-road! All I've ever done to this truck is change the oil, flush coolant, change belts, change plugs and wires, etc...general maintainence. I like how your 05's are already having issues after only a year. Come on, you're putting this statement up against the engine and truck that helped BUILD Toyota's reliability reputation. Anybody who has been with Toyota's throughout the years and knows the real history will back me up on this. The 2.7L is an evolution of the 22RE which I have in my '98 Tacoma.

To the original poster, if you get a new truck EVERY YEAR, why is reliability a concern? Heck, if I knew I was going to be getting a new truck EVERY YEAR (are you spoiled?) I'd go with the least expensive '07 model I could find. On the other hand, if you're going to keep this truck for several years (like most Toyota owners do), and have become a "workhorse" then get a Toyota.
I dont think your 13 year old truck is more reliable than my brand new one.

·
Registered
854 Posts
K20Z3Si said:
I dont think your 13 year old truck is more reliable than my brand new one.
I hope nothing happens to your truck and you have it for a long time with many trouble-free years. However, I want you to come back 13 years from now and make that same statement about you're '07 like I can about 94 pickup! I'd put money on the fact that my 94 will still be on the road driving just fine 13 years from now!

22RE

·
Registered
423 Posts
My :2cents: , if you buy a new truck every year I would suggest going with a Ford Ranger. It is cheap and reliable, otherwise I would keep the Nissan since that is a very good truck. Yes after four years you will have 160,000 km but won't you save more money by keeping the truck you have now? With sales tax, dealer fees, tags, depreciation, etc..., you are spending way more every year selling your trucks after a year than you would be by keeping the truck until it is paid off. Resale on Nissans or Toyotas are still very good with high mileage. I wish I could have a new truck every year but I guess I like my money too much to throw it away like that.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
tderose said:
I'd put money on the fact that my 94 will still be on the road driving just fine 13 years from now!
That's a pretty bold bet.

Got any idea just how few trucks actualy make it to 26 years old and still able to pass inspection?

I would bet it's less than one percent.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts