TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Some of you might remember me posting up in June/July of last year about a wheelin trip to the Leadville area. HAD A BLAST! Truck broke on me but still got in quite a bit of wheelin. Well, that trip did it for me, IM MOVING!! I put in my 2 weeks notice here at work and making the jump to Colorado Springs sometime in February. Here is what I need help with. Those of you familiar with Colorado Springs and surrounding, what areas do I need to stay away from as far as housing and not be spending a TON in rent each month? I need to be relatively certain when I leave to go to work that all my junk will be there when I get home! LOL!! I talked to a buddy that was stationed up there for several years but he wasnt much help since he was on base... Hit me with the good, bad and ugly. Any and all info is GREATLY appreciated.
I look forward to meeting some of yall and hopefully a few COTTORA members are local in Co Springs. Cant wait for the thaw so I can do some more wheelin!!
BTW, I drive a 96 Xtra Cab Taco with a SAS, D44/12bolt (full width K5 Blazer axles) locked front and rear with 36" TSL's, custom f & r bumpers and sliders and few other goodies... When I get my new laptop (im posting from work and they wont let me do much off this pc) I will get some pics posted of the truck. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! DriftinCO, Mythica, and SonofMayhem are in the COS area and could probably help you out with what neighborhoods/sections to look at or avoid.

Where will you be working?
Hopefully they will post up some info on COS... We are going to do a lot of driving around up there, probably a week or so of exploring the area and use a realtor, Remax or someone, to help locate a house to rent. Im sure they will know which areas are good and not so much. As for work... Thats a great question!! LOL! We have quite a bit of money saved up to cover moving, bills/living expenses for several months and hope to find something good once we are there. Neither of us are too proud to flip burgers if needed until something better can be found. The honest plan is that the wife will find an accounting job or something that pays pretty well so I can get a part time job somewhere and focus on school full time. I am going back to school to get a degree in forestry and hope to join the USFS once Im done. I LOVE THE OUTDOORS and want to do everything I can to protect them, keep them beautiful yet open and available for everyone to use for decades to come... Its a dream job but one Im determined to make come true!! I know I will never get rich working for the USFS but Im perfectly ok with that!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I am in the Springs as well. Generally speaking the east, northeast, north, and northwest parts of town are going to be more costly (well.. outside the Broadmore area on the southwest), but you can find some real bargains right now. I will try to throw together a list of links to help you out a little later.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Volcom lives in a decent area down there. hit him up.

·
Registered
746 Posts
OK here we go. You mentioned renting, so I would recommend these sites to help in the search:

http://www.rentals.com/Colorado/Colorado-Springs/
http://www.thenickel.com/
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/

The local paper here has gotten pretty pricey on ads so it seems that fewer are listing there, but it worth a look. http://www.gazette.com/index.php

Until you have some familiarity with the town these may not help, but the CSPD has weekly crime maps on their website. http://www.springsgov.com/Page.asp?NavID=348

The parts of town I mentioned above are more costly because they are the newer areas. Personally I have this thing about renting, although I know that it can make sense when you are new to an area. However, the housing market here right now is a buyers dream. If you have the inclination I would not overlook purchasing.

The Springs can be interesting to navigate. There are very few streets that go straight in any direction. Remember, mountains = west :) but a GPS when you get here would help too. While the Springs is the second largest city in the state, it is not really that big. You can pretty much get anywhere in 15-20 minutes, a little more in rush hours, unless the weather is bad.

There are two public higher education systems here. UCCS http://www.uccs.edu/ and Pikes Peak Community College http://www.ppcc.edu/ I just took a quick look and PPCC would probably be your best bet for forestry, at least initially.

That's about all that comes to mind at the moment. When you get here, give a shout, I would be glad to show you around.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Volcom lives in a decent area down there. hit him up.
I'm 35 minutes south of Colorado Springs in a little city called Pueblo :D

Welcome to southern CO!

·
7,735 Posts
That's awesome... I've always wanted to do the USFS thing, not to mention have enough money stored away to move, and take my time finding work/place to live, etc...

If there wasn't so much schooling, I might consider it a second career (I'm not as good as FJCruzer about going back to school).

welcome.. see you on the trail.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Welcome...Honestly we should all hit a trail down south....I am Samantha....nice to meet ya cant wait to meet ya on the trail...

·
20,355 Posts
I plan on running eagle rock and saran wrap early in the season next year.

Welcome, dont have much experience with the springs so i am no help there.

·
20,355 Posts
True to an extent. I worked on the North end of town by the AFA(actually was down there today), and the commute to the south end of town sucks depending on the time. But i do agree it is way better than Denver. If you live up north the drive to the south end of denver/Castle rock is not bad at all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the links and info!! I am really excited about the move, a little timid about not having a job before hand but Im sure it will work out... (fingers crossed)
We have GPS for the rig so getting around shouldnt be too bad and as for traffic, even with an accident slowing things it cant be as bad as DFW traffic. That is one of the things I REALLY hate about N. Texas, the traffic is horrible!! Once we get up there and settled in I will be really ready to hit the trails. Hope to meet a bunch of yall soon.

·
Registered
746 Posts
We have GPS for the rig so getting around shouldnt be too bad and as for traffic, even with an accident slowing things it cant be as bad as DFW traffic.
Sadly, that might depend on where the accident is. CS only has 3 major north/south arterials and basically only two east/west with neither of them in the center of the city. Our city fathers, in their not so infinite wisdom, could not figure out that with the mountains to the west, Air Force Academy to the north, and Ft. Carson to the south that there was really only one direction for the city to grow - east. Once you are here for a while though you will figure out that the main roads are not necessarily the best or fastest ways to get around.

·
7,735 Posts
Yeah, I've heard of Dallas traffic. I've only experienced Houston and Austin traffic. The stuff here doesn't hold a candle. When i moved out from Cali, I laughed at what they called traffic here, but after a few years here, I grew to hate it just the same. You'll get used to open roads and sure enough, even a 5 min delay will drive you insane.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Welcome BTW... CoTTORA is pretty kick ass. Get a place with a big garage so we can have a HOW CoSprings... ;)

(HOW = House Of Wrenching... we already have 3 official ones 2 up north and one down south closer to you).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im not going to complain if we find something with a huge shop out back but will settle for a 2 car garage... Right now all my tools are at my buddies house 20 miles from my apartment so a one car garage would KILL the current setup!! LOL!! How big does it need to be to qualify for HOW status? I have most tools needed for just about anything short of a welder. Engine hoist, compressor with all the goodies, big floor jack, trans jack, lots of jack stands and TONS of hand tools... I love to do some wrenchin for sure!!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
LOL We have a small 2 car garage and with all our crap it really is a 1 car... but it is still a HOW! If you are willing to help and you have some tools, then it is a HOW! (But I kinda assumed you had more than normal tools with the set-up you have) ;)

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
True to an extent. I worked on the North end of town by the AFA(actually was down there today), and the commute to the south end of town sucks depending on the time. But i do agree it is way better than Denver. If you live up north the drive to the south end of denver/Castle rock is not bad at all.
Except for Monument when we actually get a decent amount of snow.

Welcome to the club, hope to do some wheeling with you this summer!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts