TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems my electric door locks wont function below -20C or so. Just got our first cold snap of the year, and when I hit the factory remote the lights would not flash, and the door would not unlock. Once the truck warmed up, they worked fine. Wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

This is on an 06 TRD access cab. As a side note, she fired up fine at -30 without being plugged in - not that it surprised me, but what was surprising was that it turned over nearly as fast as a +30 start.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Toyotas are great for cold starts, I would only plug mine if I was gonna be gone for for than a week or so when I was stationed in alaska (90-94).

My guess is that the electrical system may have been cold...just a theory. I had the same issues with my wife's subura in alaska sometimes. You might want to give the dealer a call to see if something is up. Wierd though since the truck started fine. -20*C is getting down there about -5*F for those in the us...
Take it you are up in the great white north?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've noticed the same thing, I've seen about -30F to -35F this year already and I've had to unlock the door with the key each time it's dropped that far. Didn't think much of it though because the truck has always cranked over just fine.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Dan62180 said:
I've noticed the same thing, I've seen about -30F to -35F this year already and I've had to unlock the door with the key each time it's dropped that far. Didn't think much of it though because the truck has always cranked over just fine.
Holy crap - and I was complaining because it's only 12F here today. No problems with my door locks though....

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Danny said:
It seems my electric door locks wont function below -20C or so. Just got our first cold snap of the year, and when I hit the factory remote the lights would not flash, and the door would not unlock. Once the truck warmed up, they worked fine. Wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

This is on an 06 TRD access cab. As a side note, she fired up fine at -30 without being plugged in - not that it surprised me, but what was surprising was that it turned over nearly as fast as a +30 start.
see if this plays...:p

http://mailcenter.comcast.net/wmc/v/wm/456F714E0006DCE1000072A62207300793970A049D010C9C0C/Auto-Turschoss-Enteisung.wmv?cmd=MimePart&no=105&uid=194305&sid=c0&format=raw&mimepart=2&content_type=video/x-ms-wmv&name=Auto%2DTurschoss%2DEnteisung%2Ewmv

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan62180 said:
last week it hit -49 in Zama, Alberta where I work. Usually dont see that until Jan/ Feb. And you're further north than that. It is good for getting our winter roads in though. Hopefully it doesnt warm up too much and make all that road work for not..

Im not concerned too much with the truck locks - I live in central alberta where we dont see those kind of extremes for very long. It can hang around --20 for a few months of the year however - I am planning on a remote starter/ alarm unit which would tie into the doorlocks, and it would be nice to have all of that functional.

Ill talk to the dealer next time out and see what sort of specs Toyota has on operating temperatures, although I doubt there is any sort of official number.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts