TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start my remote start install and I have a few remaining questions. Are there any security systems that need to be bypassed stock from Toyota? Like are there any immobilizers or anything like that? I have one schematic for the truck that shows "Keysense", any clue what that is? Also, any help at all is greatly appreciated. The wiring for the "accessory", "starter output" and "ignition 1" are 14 guage on my unit; is this going to be okay to tap into the stock ignition harness? I havent taken it apart yet, maybe those are 14 guage also?
Thanks,
Anthony
One last thing, is there any way to make the clutch start switch work before I shut the truck off? I want to use it like a safety. I want to be able to hit the button before I leave my truck to arm the system basically. Without the button hit the remote start wouldnt work. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
avc8130 said:
I am about to start my remote start install and I have a few remaining questions. Are there any security systems that need to be bypassed stock from Toyota? Like are there any immobilizers or anything like that? I have one schematic for the truck that shows "Keysense", any clue what that is? Also, any help at all is greatly appreciated. The wiring for the "accessory", "starter output" and "ignition 1" are 14 guage on my unit; is this going to be okay to tap into the stock ignition harness? I havent taken it apart yet, maybe those are 14 guage also?
Thanks,
Anthony
One last thing, is there any way to make the clutch start switch work before I shut the truck off? I want to use it like a safety. I want to be able to hit the button before I leave my truck to arm the system basically. Without the button hit the remote start wouldnt work. Any ideas?
Now this post makes much more sense then the other.

First, if your truck was never equipped with the factory alarm, then there is no other system to bypass. The lead called "keysense" should be the switch that makes the door chime when your key is in the ignition.
If your alarm came with 14ga leads, use them. Try to keep the power leads a short as possible, so as to minimize any means for voltage drop.

As for your idea about the clutch cancel switch, you might be able to do something like you mentioned, but you would have do design a circuit to do so. There is no way to just wire it up and make it do what you want. In any situation, what would it matter? If you have the truck in gear, then your remote start will move the truck. Best to look into a neutral safety switch and bypass the clutch cancel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
the best thing you could do is mount magnetic switches in front and behind the shifter to insure that the truck will not start if it is in gear (this will be your neutral safty switch). then wire a relay to bypass the clutch only during the remotestart process.

johnny

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I thought about building a neutral switch. I might take that on as a project later. The rational behind the clutch cancel switch idea was that would help to remind me to park in neutral, thats about it. I am going to try the install either tomorrow or Saturday, I will post feedback.
Thanks
ac

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Is this starter system designed for an auto or a standard shift vehicle? I put one in my 99 with a standard and the safty feature was: While truck is running press button on keypad, take key out of ignition(truck stays running, now exit vehicle(since the truck is running and you are about to get out the shifter should be in neutral and park brake applied), open door, close door,(it had a door pin sensor so it knew when you exited vehicle), press and hold keypad button and truck shuts off. If you open any door the system will not start because the shifter could have gotten moved. Now if you do this but dont actualy get out of truck and you them put shifter in gear and hit the kepad again you will go for a ride!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I have heard of systems like that. The system I installed does not have that feature, although I wish it did. Mine is in, hopefully I dont leave it in gear!
ac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
avc8130
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing