TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody has removed the 'J' shaped Helmholtz resonator on the intake tract. It's located under the plastic intake tract in line between the air box and the throttle body. Not sure if there is any power to be gained by removing it and plugging it off, so I'm gonna try it. The thing's sole purpose is to cancel noise resonations and silence the intake tract. Popular Mechanics did an article on the thing and it made me curious. Seems to me that the purpose of some of the aftermarket intake tubes, like the AEM modular unit ($90), is to smooth out intake flow as much as possible to effect a power increase. These resonators impede flow in order to do their job, but I think we'd all accept some more intake noise for a free power inscrease. I'm sure the increase will be negligible, but maybe it'll aid fuel economy. Some guy on the nat'l forum removed it and plugged it easily with a cap from a coolant bottle. I'll let y'all know.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
uh it really isn't dampening any air movement........ its more cancelling out noise frequencies. the only way you are going to benefit from any real intake modification is to get blown and then just do a straight pipe with a cone or otherwise on it......... our engines get enough air to run efficiently with a deckplate setup as it is. no change after the MAF will make a difference really anyways

·
Registered
476 Posts
I ended up installing the AIRAID MIT on my Taco. There are conversions and such you can do with your stock box but it isn't clean. I did it along with the Deckplate mod so I can't really tell you if I felt a difference between stock w/Deckplate and MIT w/Deckplate. As far as physics go... the MIT does make it so air travels in to the intake more efficiently (just not sure how much gain it gives). As always, here's a pic...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts