TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the entire spare tire pulley thing? I want to remove the entire thing (it's directly under where I want to mount my spare tire in the bed). It looks like it's held onto the frame on each side by 4 bolts. But there really isn't any room in there for a socket wrench. How did you guys do it?


-Seth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Speaking of the spare tire pullley thing, man that thing is a bitch to couple up to with the key on the extension rod, especially in 10 degree weather on a major highway..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
You have to remove the 4 bolts, but once you do, there's no way to slide it out. You have to cut it in the middle (torch is best) and remove it 1 piece at a time. As for the socket, use either 2 wrenches, (slow process) or the "fire wrench"..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
ha ha.. like everything else that's a bitch to get to, i guess they start there & build the rest of the truck around it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
How about pulling the bed bolts on one side and loosening the bolts on the other, then lift the side you removed the bolts from and remove the pulley.

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
That would be great if it were mounted on top of the frame.. Unfortunately it fits inside the frame rails, top & bottom, side to side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Once its unbolted with the extra room above you can wiggle, and move it around to get it out. Been there done that.

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,347 Posts
not sure if the 1st gens are the same as the 3rd on this point. but I was able to remove mine, i have a bodly lift.. loosen the bed bolts and then remove the spare tire winch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Maybe i don't have the patience..but i torched mine when i bobbed the bed..And it was still tough to get out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
seth_js said:
Has anyone removed the entire spare tire pulley thing? I want to remove the entire thing (it's directly under where I want to mount my spare tire in the bed). It looks like it's held onto the frame on each side by 4 bolts. But there really isn't any room in there for a socket wrench. How did you guys do it?


-Seth

i had to replace mine..the only way i could get to it was to raise the bed up a little.. remove 2 nuts at the very back of the bed,and 2 bolts behind each of the rear tires,and raise the bed a little,once i did that i slid a 2x4 under the bed and frame rail(made it so much easier to get the tire hanger out..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YotaAddict said:
Maybe i don't have the patience..but i torched mine when i bobbed the bed..And it was still tough to get out.
I don't have the patience either. I'll prolly just take it down to a fab shop and have them cut the bastard out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seth_js said:
I don't have the patience either. I'll prolly just take it down to a fab shop and have them cut the bastard out.
I just got back from a fab shop. The guy told me that I probably shouldn't cut/remove that bar because it also acts as a cross-member for support. What do you guys think?

Also, has anyone with a fabtech spare tire mount had any issues with it ripping the bed from bouncing around? I don't see it being a huge problem, but it's something he also mentioned. The plate that goes on the bottom side of the bed is pretty thick and about 4 or 5 inches long, so it's got a good base.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
seth_js said:
has anyone with a fabtech spare tire mount had any issues with it ripping the bed from bouncing around? I don't see it being a huge problem, but it's something he also mentioned. The plate that goes on the bottom side of the bed is pretty thick and about 4 or 5 inches long, so it's got a good base.
I've seen 2 Fabtech tire mounts rip out of the bed. The solution is to weld on larger feet to the mount on the bed and spread out the stress area.

Tim
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top