TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like I've got to replace the starter contacts (had the truck for two weeks and already wrenching on it :mad: ). Two bolts should be *gasp!* easy. Yeah right, I should know better to even mutter that four letter word in the garage. I just can't get a wrench into those bolts. Even if I could I'm not sure if they'd break free without an air tool. Just looking for some tips on getting it out (even some words of encouragment would help). Still not used to working on the truck so any help is much appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,595 Posts
Retrd said:
So it looks like I've got to replace the starter contacts (had the truck for two weeks and already wrenching on it :mad: ). Two bolts should be *gasp!* easy. Yeah right, I should know better to even mutter that four letter word in the garage. I just can't get a wrench into those bolts. Even if I could I'm not sure if they'd break free without an air tool. Just looking for some tips on getting it out (even some words of encouragment would help). Still not used to working on the truck so any help is much appreciated!
Thanks
A 1/2" drive ratchet, wobble joint and at least 20" of drive extension should get you up in there just fine.
Ratchet -> extension -> wobble -> socket
I have a set of 36" extensions from MAC Tools that work awesome for tranny work. Down side is I bought two and they were more then $80 each. :eek:
Craftsman offers a 20" drive extension. Its only like $25

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Retrd said:
Thanks

What year/engine do you have? If it's a 2.7 near a 96 I have a few pics from mine last weekend that might be helpful.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
like tyler said, a wobble is your friend!

i also found it was easiest to take the upper a-arm off and pull the starter out the wheelwell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.