TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a Diesel forum for my work truck.

www.thedieselplace.com

Looking at it, they clearly state that the different years are only pertained to engine related discussion only. After being on that forum, there really isn't that much mumbo jumbo goin around, and it's usually only engine related discussion (since it should be, since there are sections for Suspension and such)

Can we rename the description for the 4X4 tech? Ours reads:

This forum is designated for the 95.5 to 04 year model Tacomas.

Thinking in noob terms, "My Tacoma is a 95.5-04, so I will just post my question here." Thinking about it, this section is pertained only to the 4x4 drivetrain. We have a section for suspension, engine, interior, exterior, fab, but no drivetrain.

Can we rename it to something more clear, such as adding;

Drivetrain related discussion only!

That way, you can come in the forum, and clearly see that the 4x4 tech Section is really only for technical questions that would only apply to a 4x4, but does not fit in any other section.

-Philly

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I agree... I'm tired of seeing noobs posting everthing and anything in that folder... Just cause they think... "Hmmm... I have an '95-'04 Tacoma... That must be where I gotta post my question as to why my dipstick is not attached to my ankle rod... duh"

But leave the Late model Folder the same... since I really don't like that truck anyhow... LOL

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hell, change all the sections, how it should be really...

The only thing that should really be in the 4x4 Tech are questions regarding the cv's, front diff, front driveshaft and the transfer case...

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
My guess is the big difference between the Diesel Truck forum and this one is the comparative lack of misbehaved, ill mannered, overly unruly, snot nosed kids on the Diesel forum.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? I've only noticed that the large majority of the members are guys that use thier trucks to tow toyhaulers and carhaulers and stuff alike. I don't know how a kid can afford that.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Personally, I really like the way Yotatech is setup:

General Vehicle (stuff that applies to any vehicle - oil, etc)
General Electrical (duh)
then broken down by generations (specific questions, CEL codes etc)
Offroad Tech (lockers, etc)

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dick Foster said:
That is exaclty my point ergo the lack of snot nosed kiddies on the diesel truck board.
Am I a snot nosed kiddie (I am 19) lol

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RedRunnertc said:
Personally, I really like the way Yotatech is setup:

General Vehicle (stuff that applies to any vehicle - oil, etc)
General Electrical (duh)
then broken down by generations (specific questions, CEL codes etc)
Offroad Tech (lockers, etc)
Yeah, I wouldn;t mind something like that. Personally, I don't think the sectioning is a problem, but the way it's worded is.

·
Registered
925 Posts
i see people (who need to get a f'ng life btw) knock on newbies about posting non-drivetrain related items in those folders. but really, if you take a look at the way the folders are setup, a person could make a really strong argument that that is a WRONG interpretation, or WRONGLY named.

1. First, the heading above all of this states: "General Tech Find the tech info for your Toyota in our forums below!"
Then it proceeds to list 7 models of Toyotas. A reasonable person reading this would assume, which one model does my toyota fall under? hmmm, early tacoma? late tacoma? 4 runner? etc. In other words, this is suggestive that everything is listed by model. Yes, I know it goes on to list tires/fabrication tools/exterior/etc. But those are clumped together, just as the 7 models of Toyotas are clumped together at the top.

2. Furthermore, notice all of the model categories, including the two Tacoma ones, contain "Tech" after it? I can only assume that anything regarding Landcruisers, 4 Runners, etc can be discussed in those respective folders. Since there's no rule that only Landcruiser, or 4 Runner, or etc, drivertrains are discussed in those forums, why would anyone ASSUME that the Tacoma 4x4 ones only pertain to 4x4 drivetrain?

3. The caption under the Tacoma 4x4 categories states, "This forum is designated for the 95.5 to 04 year model Tacomas." Notice it doesn't say, "designated for discussion of 95.5 to 04 year mode Tacoma drivertrains"? Since whoever designed the forum layout decided to further describe that particular category and left out the "drivetrain" part, we must assume it was an intentional omission.

4. until recently, the forum practice has been to apply broad definitions to the categories. there are plenty of NON-DRIVETRAIN related topics in the 4x4 tech category. it's not like 80-90 percent of the posts are drivetrain related. in fact, it's probably not even 50 percent. i don't know when it became fashionable to topic folder police, but i certaintly don't remember it prevalent when this forum first came over from delphi. i guess i must have missed it when or if, a mandate came from above to gestapo the "wrong" folder posters. either way, the wrong folder bullshit seems to only be hurled at newbies. either the losers making these arguments have difficulty reading, or they're too chicken shit to level this pettiness at older, established veteran members.

either way, it appears that the mods are taking active efforts to make this folder into a tacoma 4x4 drivetrain folder. if so, i'd suggest putting this folder at the bottom, right next to the tires/external modifications/suspension/etc, and create a new early/late tacoma folder for all those "how much is my taco worth, did i pay too much, anyone know of a good dealer, what mpg's, etc." questions that are very useful but really don't belong off-topic or any other folder.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
I was thinking the same yesterday. Edit: I say we leave 4x4 tech as is and just do the modification I listed in the next reply.

NorcalPR said:
I'm on a Diesel forum for my work truck.

www.thedieselplace.com

Looking at it, they clearly state that the different years are only pertained to engine related discussion only. After being on that forum, there really isn't that much mumbo jumbo goin around, and it's usually only engine related discussion (since it should be, since there are sections for Suspension and such)

Can we rename the description for the 4X4 tech? Ours reads:

This forum is designated for the 95.5 to 04 year model Tacomas.

Thinking in noob terms, "My Tacoma is a 95.5-04, so I will just post my question here." Thinking about it, this section is pertained only to the 4x4 drivetrain. We have a section for suspension, engine, interior, exterior, fab, but no drivetrain.

Can we rename it to something more clear, such as adding;

Drivetrain related discussion only!

That way, you can come in the forum, and clearly see that the 4x4 tech Section is really only for technical questions that would only apply to a 4x4, but does not fit in any other section.

-Philly

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
peekay331 said:
i see people (who need to get a f'ng life btw) knock on newbies about posting non-drivetrain related items in those folders. but really, if you take a look at the way the folders are setup, a person could make a really strong argument that that is a WRONG interpretation, or WRONGLY named.

1. First, the heading above all of this states: "General Tech Find the tech info for your Toyota in our forums below!"
Then it proceeds to list 7 models of Toyotas. A reasonable person reading this would assume, which one model does my toyota fall under? hmmm, early tacoma? late tacoma? 4 runner? etc. In other words, this is suggestive that everything is listed by model. Yes, I know it goes on to list tires/fabrication tools/exterior/etc. But those are clumped together, just as the 7 models of Toyotas are clumped together at the top.
Point taken I say we move Noobie Tech (and add "for all model Toyotas") right above Early Taco 4x4 Tech, then they have no excuse.

And NT needs a description added like "Post here without fear of flaming" anything to help them get them picture.

BTW Whoever has been moving all the threads to the correct folders the last few days has done a heckuva job.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agreed. I love looking at the 4x4 tech folder and seeing actual 4x4 tech!

·
Registered
482 Posts
The changes on the forum look good.

Next stop: Pre-runners folder

That folder makes me want to put my fish through a wall with all the people posting in there just because their tailgate says "Prerunner".

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not as many mods on now because of the NorCal wheelin trip, but shoot, what does someone have to do around here to become a mod?

I'll be blastin threads out of there left and right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts