TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(truck is in sig) I've had no experience with any steering R&P. I noticed mine was leaking on both sides of the boots while I was changing my fuel filter a few days ago. I've lost a little bit of fluid, but not much. I can see on the boots where it is dripping off.
I was planning on a weekend wheeling trip next weekend, but I'm not sure how long the rack will last?? I'm in the works of trying to get one ASAP (coming from PA) but I don't think it will make it to my house by next weekend. Can I just carry some spare PS fluid and keep it topped off for the next few weeks untill the new rack comes in the mail? :D
Thanks!! (and no, I don't have the time to chop it off and throw a 44 under it ;) )
Trevor

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Steering rack can be done in a matter of hours. Depends on what tools you have available and how experienced you are. It is not difficult. If you know what you're doing you can prob do it in 2-2.5 hrs.

As for the wheeling trip Id just carry an extra bottle of fluid and top off as needed.

Toyota steering rack calls for ATF. Not power steering fluid.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea - I'm not concerned on timeframe of the actual replacement - I'm concerned with the wheeling trip and how long it will last untill I have to replace it.
UHOH on the ATF.....I added about 5 tablespoons of PS fluid last night.
Shyt.
Trevor

·
Registered
304 Posts
I drove mine in the same condition for over a year and it never failed. But I just put a replacement in and its a lot smoother. It should be fine in the short term topped off.

·
Registered
933 Posts
It will be fine as long as you keep the fluid in there. The rack is mechanical and only uses the fluid for lubrication and power assist. The concern is more about the fact that if fluid is coming out than fluid (water) can get in and damage the pump or bearings. You'll be fine as long as you keep the pump from going dry.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome.....That is great to hear. Thank you guys - I have a used rack on it's way from PA -
Trevor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts