TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I finally sold the other car and have some cash to get my shit together for wheelin'. Got the 3" OME lift done last year, got a set of rock sliders en route, talked my brother into swapping me his barely-used BFG AT's, planning to replace the stupid failing steering pump soon, planning to get an air locker on the back, guna pull the trigger on some basic recovery gear shortly, and then go out with my local club and get high-centered on everything I can find.

Question about the clutch.

I gotta 99 Taco with 190k miles on the original clutch. It's not slipping at all, but the 'catch zone' of the clutch pedal is what seems like a 1" section in its travel. Basically, it seems like it's just a matter of time before the thing shits the bed on me. Will having a worn-down (but not-yet-slipping) clutch cause problems for wheeling? I'm thinking a clutch in this condition won't be able to deliver torque when I need it, compared to if I had it replaced with a new one, when I'm out on the trail. Am I smoking crack, or is there some truth to this?

It's hard to justify fixing it before it starts acting up (slipping), but if you guys confirm a worn-down clutch will have a negative effect on wheeling, it's going on my get-it-done list.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent! You saved me $900. At least, until it starts slipping. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well sort of. I mean, either way, I gotta get the damned thing replaced pretty soon, but getting more life out of the existing clutch is always nice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to close the loop, I just had the clutch replaced at 215,000 miles. Here's a picture. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I was thrilled to have timed it so well.

It actually wasn't slipping much at all on me with normal driving. I pretty much drive like an old lady, so maybe that's why I didn't notice. The thing I noticed most was that at about 210k miles, all of my shifts started to feel a little too smooth. Like in a bad way. It felt more like an automatic, without any kind of jerk or pull when the clutch plate hooked up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They have self adjusting clutches so u may never know till your stuck! in the middle of some trail. If u have any question change it and do the rear main seal! Lucky timing... One nasty obstacle could have finished it off!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts