TTORA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I wouldn't normally ask how to do something like this but I can't find my repair manual and I have never done a U-joint before. I have the front driveshaft off right now. It's a 97 4x4. It's the U-joint at the Front diff not the transfer case side if it makes a different. I can see the the u joint is trashed so how do I take this apart? Just put in vase and hammer away or is there a method? Thanks....Pics would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
MarzzTaco said:
Alright, I wouldn't normally ask how to do something like this but I can't find my repair manual and I have never done a U-joint before. I have the front driveshaft off right now. It's a 97 4x4. It's the U-joint at the Front diff not the transfer case side if it makes a different. I can see the the u joint is trashed so how do I take this apart? Just put in vase and hammer away or is there a method? Thanks....Pics would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
I have only replace my rear u-joint, but I am sure they are very similar. Before you begin hammering away, you need to remove the 4 clips that hold the u-joint in. They are located un the underside of the yoke. If you clean it up really good you will be able to see the. I hammered them out with a screwdriver. Then you will be able to hammer the u-joint out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dont use a hammer man, it will only lead to major frustration in the end. Go to Autozone and get a ball joint press - use that. It is so much easier. Plus you could possibly bend the ears or yoke if you use a hammer. Just my idea -
Rob

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
98Taco2 said:
Dont use a hammer man, it will only lead to major frustration in the end. Go to Autozone and get a ball joint press - use that. It is so much easier. Plus you could possibly bend the ears or yoke if you use a hammer. Just my idea -
Rob

You are probably right with that advice. I put a socket uner one side of the joind and hammered it up and out. I am sure I could have done damage if i whacked it to hard. I guess I was lucky though as it came out pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
MarzzTaco said:

Thanks in advance.
I think snap-ring pliers is what youre lookin 4 to remove the clips.

As for removing the joint itself, put a large socket under the joint, one larger in diameter than the joint itself, then on top use a smaller in diameter socket to punch :xsmash: it out into the larger one underneath. (I think I'm correct)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts