TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time, actually beyond time to do a rear brake job on my 02. I'm thinking to stick with OEM shoes even though they are pricey, since sticking with OEM seems to be most recommended(open to suggestions though). I would just have the drums turned but I'm not sure if I will be able to make that happen...so I'm looking for input on replacement aftermarket alternatives that are known to work, and be of decent quality.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
Smart choice on the brake shoes. I tried aftermarket and had nothing but problems. Changed them to OEM and all was good again. I'm just using whatever premium brand drums were available from the auto parts store. Make sure you get the correct size parts. The 5lug mini trucks have smaller drums than the 4x4 models and it seems the parts places don't know how to differentiate those parts properly.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was thinking to go with Napa drums but still unsure, sometimes their stuff is of questionable quality. They only show 2 options for my truck, their Napa brand and Ultra 8. The Ultra 8 drums are priced close to what I can get OEM for.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
Drums are drums. All cast metal. Seems silly to pay for high performance parts when that really isn't needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's time, actually beyond time to do a rear brake job on my 02. I'm thinking to stick with OEM shoes even though they are pricey, since sticking with OEM seems to be most recommended(open to suggestions though). I would just have the drums turned but I'm not sure if I will be able to make that happen...so I'm looking for input on replacement aftermarket alternatives that are known to work, and be of decent quality.
I use all factory for brake pads and brake drums. With the front rotors I have used the Best Select rotors and had good luck. If they need to be turned, I dont even bother, just throw them away and get new ones. with aftermarket drums and rotors they arent nearly as thick as the factory ones. Same with the brake shoes, when you compare them. But with the Best Select Rotors, they seem thicker than most aftermarket rotors, and a good price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts