TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just bought a 90 4Runner with a 3.0 V6 that has a rod knock. He wanted me to see if I could find some info on a replacement engine for him because he isn't very internet savvy. I have heard that you can buy low mileage engines that are pulled out of cars and trucks in Japan for a reasonable price. Does anyone know where I could tell him to look for something like that? He doesn't want to spend a ton of money on it because it is just a hunting rig, but the cheapest used engine he can find around where he is will run him about $1500 and a reman engine will run about $2k. Anyone have any suggestions? He lives close to Dallas, TX if that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay guys, one more question. I was looking at eBay for engines and saw that 3.0 V6 from a Camry goes for significantly less than one from a 4Runner, but they are both listed as 3VZ engine. If someone was to swap the intake and exhaust manifolds and the oil pan could you put a Camry V6 into a 4Runner?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
JoshH said:
Okay guys, one more question. I was looking at eBay for engines and saw that 3.0 V6 from a Camry goes for significantly less than one from a 4Runner, but they are both listed as 3VZ engine. If someone was to swap the intake and exhaust manifolds and the oil pan could you put a Camry V6 into a 4Runner?
I've never heard of anyone swapping in a Camry engine, I think it may be because the engine is mounted sideways on the FWD cars. I swapped in a 3.4 in place of my 3.0. Here's some info about a 3.4 swap:
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/technicalarticles.htm

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
They are different.

The camry engine is actually a 3vz-fe while the 3.0 pickup is the 3vz-e. The Camy is dual overhead cammed. Putting one of those in is about the equivalent to a 3.4 swap but the engine costs half the price of a 3.4. The bolt patterns are the same.

The only problem with being mounted at a angle from the Camry is the oil pickup would be higher when mounted straight up. Oh and the intake would probably need a hole cut in the hood on a pickup cause it point way up when the engine is in vertical configuration. I HIGHLY doubt any intake or exhaust parts are swappable.

They have completely different heads. (3vz-e and 3vz-fe)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
This post is in the wrong folder. If you come back, I doubt you do, please try to follow the guidelines.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I say stay away from all 94 and up cause they are all 1mzfe's. Alwuminum blocked, but the non vvt-i ones have a crappier powerband in the bottom end than the 92-93 3vzfe's. Been kinda beat to death on a mr2 forum for v6 engine swaps lol.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Why not swap a diesel, like the 2LT-TE? Just my preference. Costs a little more, but the damn thing won't die. Ever.

I've got a '98 tacoma and currently planning to swap the 1kz diesel into it when my 3RZ finally craps out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts