TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I had problems with my Kings with the bottom of the coilover hitting and breaking the brake line. I know this is also a problem with the Donahoe coilovers. In the installation manuals, they want you to bend the metal fitting of the stock lines with a mallet to clearance them.

With some aftermarket lines, such as Procomp, it is an accident waiting to happen.

Keep in mind that if you loose one line, you loose ALL BRAKES.

I found a solution that works well and is cheaper than buying an aftermarket set. A company that will make you custom DOT approved lines for $20 each plus shipping. There are pictures and info on my web site.

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacoma mods/customfrontbrakelines/order.htm

I posted about these on the old board, but since its gone.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
TRD4ME / PARKSOFFROAD.COM said:
As some of you know, I had problems with my Kings with the bottom of the coilover hitting and breaking the brake line. I know this is also a problem with the Donahoe coilovers. In the installation manuals, they want you to bend the metal fitting of the stock lines with a mallet to clearance them.

With some aftermarket lines, such as Procomp, it is an accident waiting to happen.

Keep in mind that if you loose one line, you loose ALL BRAKES.

I found a solution that works well and is cheaper than buying an aftermarket set. A company that will make you custom DOT approved lines for $20 each plus shipping. There are pictures and info on my web site.

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacoma mods/customfrontbrakelines/order.htm

I posted about these on the old board, but since its gone.....
My truck is a 2004 4X4 double cab 3.4L V6, 2.5" frt and 1.5" rear, and I want to replace both frt and rear brake line, what length should I order?

Thanks in advance.

931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cbr900rr95 said:
My truck is a 2004 4X4 double cab 3.4L V6, 2.5" frt and 1.5" rear, and I want to replace both frt and rear brake line, what length should I order?

Thanks in advance.
It depends on what you want to do now and in the future. The beauty of this place is that they will make them what ever length you want. For the front, if you are not planning on going any higher you can get them at the length you need now. If you plan to go higher, you could get them with a little extra to allow you to grow without having to replace them again.

Here is the info from the Pro-comp set:
"Pro Comp Toyota Brake Lines Line
Manufacturer: Explorer Pro Comp
$84.99

Designed to replace stock rubber brake hoses on vehicles with increased ride height of 4" to 6". Steel-braided lines will not swell under increased braking pressure demanded by larger tires. They help to deliver quicker, more positive response. Kits are packaged as complete for front and rear of vehicle. "

Those lines were 27 inches long. I felt that they needed to be just a tad bit longer, so I ordered my lines at 28 inches long. Check the install page also and you can measure for yourself to get exactly what you need.

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacoma mods/customfrontbrakelines/customfrontbrakelines.htm

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just installed Hoe's on my '04 and had to bend the fittings. But, my stock fitting looks almost exactly like the one's on your website so I'm not sure how this would be a "fix" for the rubbing issue with coilovers?? What am I missing?

I'm curious now especially since after bending the fitting, the metal tube piece that surrounds the rubber line as it enters the fitting, is now bent inwards toward the rubber line (slightly flattened) from hitting it with a hammer. I'm afraid the edge of this is going to wear a hole in the rubber line.

I could see how the braided steel lines would last longer if that's the fix you're talking about... ??

I would like to order some replacement lines for the front tomorrow.

931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheez said:
I just installed Hoe's on my '04 and had to bend the fittings. But, my stock fitting looks almost exactly like the one's on your website so I'm not sure how this would be a "fix" for the rubbing issue with coilovers?? What am I missing?

I'm curious now especially since after bending the fitting, the metal tube piece that surrounds the rubber line as it enters the fitting, is now bent inwards toward the rubber line (slightly flattened) from hitting it with a hammer. I'm afraid the edge of this is going to wear a hole in the rubber line.

I could see how the braided steel lines would last longer if that's the fix you're talking about... ??

I would like to order some replacement lines for the front tomorrow.
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacoma%20mods/customfrontbrakelines/customfrontbrakelines.htm

Check the pictures and info there. You can see the difference it makes when the line exits the caliper and does not go straight up. All the ordering info is in the link above. All you have to do is determine what length you want for your setup.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can see the difference it makes when the line exits the caliper and does not go straight up.
Gotcha. Thanks for the quick clarification! Now I'm wondering if I can rotate mine to exit towards the rear? Time to go take a look...

is there any reason why I couldn't cut this 'pin' that holds the fitting in place? Then I could rotate the fitting towards the rear. I just wish I didn't bend this fitting like the Donahoe directions stated until I looked at it more...

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Here you can see the "flat" spot on the metal sleeve I was talking about earlier that happened while bending this fitting. I'm worried that this edge will wear a hole in the rubber brake line.

Attachments

·
YOTAPHILIC
201 Posts
Hey Peter, I was just wondering if the 28'' is the overall length or just the hose itself, with the fittings adding a few extra inches.

931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SKUUT said:
Hey Peter, I was just wondering if the 28'' is the overall length or just the hose itself, with the fittings adding a few extra inches.
28 inches is the overall length. Originally I measured the line up to the fittings, but they wanted to go the overall length route.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
28 inches is the overall length. Originally I measured the line up to the fittings, but they wanted to go the overall length route.
When I had my new brake lines done (Crown Performance LInes) I was advised that usually length calculation includes the fitting - or atleast the main contact surface -
Banjo fitting- measure to the center of the banjo opening
Straight male fitting- measure the tip/end of the fitting
Straight female fitting - measure to the interior surface of the fitting (where the male fitting would make contact)
For the the male- & female fittings each respective fitting will be measured at the point of contact

But I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you & the shop are on the same page

- For anyone else- The stock front lines have a 20 degree bend to steer them away from the caliper/wheel-- The lines from Peter's link have straight banjo fittings with out the 20 degree bend- Donahoes instructions to straighten the line with a mallet are to "remove" the 20 degree bend

1 - 11 of 11 Posts