TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering building up my wife's 99 4Runner for a 4 seat trail rig.

Problems I'm seeing are the low hanging gas tank and radiator (tank's about 5" below the frame rails to the bottom of the skid).

I'm considering a 3" body lift and then lift the radiator, drivetrain and gas tank.

But....is there by chance any company making a lower profile gas tank so I don't have to go to the trouble of a body lift and drivetrain lift?

My plans right now, are going with f/r 35 spline D60s w/ ARBs, 37s on beadlocks, stretched wheelbase to 115-120"....frame height around 25-27". 3 link with panhard f/r....unless I go to a fuel cell in the rear or something....in which case the rear would get a double triangulated 4 link. I'm also planning a Marlin swap to the older passenger side drop tcases (23 spline w/ 2.28 and 4.70s).

Anyone try something similar? If so, a link to a build thread would be really helpful....particularly about what's involved in the Marlin swap in terms of clearing the older style cases on the floor.....not sure if a body lift is REQUIRED or not.

Thanks for any help.

Sean

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
With a 3" BL, you can lift the tank enough to be smooth under the frame rails. Other options are a fuel cell in the back (what I did when mine rusted out) or in the back where the spare tire usually goes. I think that Jeep XJ tanks will fit in that spot between the frame rails.

You won't need a bodylift or anything to clear the cases - it's a common mod...

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
If its truely gonna be a trail rig just go fuel cell :dunno: Id rather that than a 3" body lift.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A 3" BL makes no difference for the gas tank unless you cut out the round cross member in the rear.

With all these mods, just go to a fuel cell.

BTW, I have dual cases and a 1" BL is recommended unless you modify the floor extensively.

Gl with your build.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd obviously have to cut out that crossmember to get the tank up.

My main problem with the fuel cell idea is that I don't want to give up any interior space....so it'd have to go under the body....in the factory location or the spare tire location. But, I am worried about the durability of that kind of positioning. I'd have to make a very heavy skid for it which may defeat the purpose of raising it in the first place.

Sounds like a body lift is a good idea anyway (even though I'm not wild about them) to clear the dual cases on the floor. Thanks. Great info. guys.

I appreciate the help.

Sean

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I would like to preface this thought by saying that have never tried this or heard of it, but I wonder what the difference in size is between a 1st gen tank and a 3rd gen tank. Perhaps you could swap in an older tank to gain some clearance?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I don't know on 3rd gens, but on the "preTaco" models, the TRUCK gas tank has more ground clearance than the 4Runner one.

I put mine in the back because it was going to be cost prohibitive to do it underneath due to the skid. I had a rack built that provides another layer, so the cargo area space is actually MORE usable now than it was. I really need to take some pictures...

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Yeah pics would be nice and no more YT links would be nice as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Behind the axle sounds like a great idea (and I love the pic ATL posted), but I'm planning on stretching the wheelbase. I'd like to avoid giving up too much fuel capacity. Guess it's just one of those things that will need to be overcome. I built the fuel cell in my buggy.....I suppose I could build one for the Runner if push comes to shove.

What's up with Yota-tech? Why don't we want links there? The link posted above had some good info.

Sean

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Use the a small flat tank from a Metro or small car.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Sean K. said:
Speaking of which...what happened to the YT link that was posted?

Sean
See the "Last edited by Cronus TRD: Today 08:17" in post #2 above?

Apparently, it's OK to link to Pirate or 4x4wire, but not YT :rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya, but why? I'm very new around here....just trying to figure out the sense (or non-sense) of not sharing tech info over the net. Isn't that the main goal of a website like this?

Maybe I'm in the wrong place? :confused:

Sean

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I like the 3" Body lift. I also like the Drivetrain lift. If I ever get the motivation to design engine mounts for my 85 im going to lift my drivetrain 3"s and do a flat belly plate. I know for the 1st gen stuff Roger Brown makes engine mounts already but I like to make my own stuff.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Sean K. said:
Ya, but why? I'm very new around here....just trying to figure out the sense (or non-sense) of not sharing tech info over the net. Isn't that the main goal of a website like this?

Maybe I'm in the wrong place? :confused:

Sean
Well its not that bad. TTORA and Yota Tech are like 2 feuding brothers and we think RedRunnertc likes them just a little more than us. He will post something about, a link to or send people to there message board. We think we have enough knowledge here to help people to do or find what there looking for with out sending them elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
See the "Last edited by Cronus TRD: Today 08:17" in post #2 above?

Apparently, it's OK to link to Pirate or 4x4wire, but not YT :rolleyes:
As we have told you in MANY posts, all of your links to YT are vauge links to the site....IF you posted a DIRECT link to a specific post which ANSWERED or was RELATED to the question, it wouldnt be bad.

As you saw in ATLRoach's post, he linked a DIRECT link...not a vauge reference to 4x4wire.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Here's some pix of my setup:

15 gal RCI fuel cell from Summit (note: you can only get 12 gals in it! If I had it to do over, I would really like to know that...) Installed by AllPhase in Longmont, CO and they built a rack over the top to protect it and allow for the tire. Compared to keeping the tire in the back, there's a lot more usable room even with the tank:

Fuel pump and overflow breather up against the crossmember:

The extra ground clearance is awesome!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts