TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought some used SAW's with 40k on them.

I haven't noticed any leaking and I plan on doing a rebuild myself. I know the rebuild consists of draining the nitrogen, opening up the shock and replacing the oil and seals.

Something that I cannot figure out is why the seals would need to be replaced if the shocks aren't leaking any oil. Do they just equate to other attributes in the shock that would be beneficial.

Obviously if I have the thing open, I guess I should do it the right way. But, was wondering if anyone else has gotten away w/o buying the seal kit from SAW and been okay?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yes you should replace the seals. It's like when you change your oil filter. The old filters o'ring is fine as much as you know? The new one comes with a new ring because you never know for sure if something can go wrong with removal. It's always better to have new when rebuilding. Why take a chance with something going wrong with dissasimbling and not catching it, till back together and leaking? Pay now or take a chance and pay later?

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
gsmsnuffy said:
Yes you should replace the seals. It's like when you change your oil filter. The old filters o'ring is fine as much as you know? The new one comes with a new ring because you never know for sure if something can go wrong with removal. It's always better to have new when rebuilding. Why take a chance with something going wrong with dissasimbling and not catching it, till back together and leaking? Pay now or take a chance and pay later?
X2. How do you also know for sure that the coilover has only that many miles on them?

I bought mine and the previous owner claimed only 35k on them. I recieved them and the lower heim was shot, BAD, powdercoat chipping off, and it needs a rebuild.

If it has only 35k on, maybe I'll be fine. But am I going to chance it when I see all the other factors? Hell no!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts