TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOUND LIKE THIS IS GOING TO BE A PAIN IN THE BUT? LOOKS TO ME THAT I HAVE A BAD BATTERY AND/OR STARTER...:mad: ANYONE GONE THROUGH THIS HEADACHE OF REPLACING THEIR STARTER ON A V-8? MOTOR HAS A LITTLE OVER 142,000 MILES

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YA FROM THE SOUND OF THINGS U HAVE TO PULL MANIFOLD,HEADERS AND DRAIN COOLANT JUST TO ACCESS THIS.:mad: I'M SURE SOMEONE THAT HAS DONE THIS WILL CHIME IN AND GIVE A COUPLE OF TIPS...:confused:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The starter is under the intake. Its really not that bad though. I would say you will need to separate the intake tube from the throttle body, disconnect the few vaccum lines that run across the intake, and the 8 injector connectors plus the connector at the throttle body. Leave the harness on the block. There are 4 or 5 bolts I believe on each side of the intake holing it down. Once thats finished you should be able to lay the intake over out of the way enough to get to the starter. 2 bolts a connecter and a nut is al that holds the starter on.

I have not actually replaced a starter, but I have put one on a 4.7 that was on a stand. Just take your time, and dont break the connectors. You should be able to leave the fuel lines connected, but if not you can break them loose pretry easy.

I will try and dig up some pics for you.

Edit: Here is a link for you. This is about a Tundra, but it should be pretty much the same as the 4runner....

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is a job. Maybe 2 hours in all. (removal, rebuild and re-install )

I swamped my starter and had to clean the contacts in it. I reused all the gaskets, so essentially (grease, electricty, antiseeze and cleaners), I had no money in this repair.

There is plenty of life in your starter. Clean or replace your starter contacts and you should be good to go.

I cleaned then up and put it back together.

I did this last summer and the starter has not failed me yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome!! Thnk u for those pics and details guys:) BUY THE WAY.. DID U HAVE TO DRAIN COOLANT FROM MOTOR?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
thats a terrible design idea

It's in a better spot that the 5.7. That one is tucked up under a manifold ob the side of the engine. There is no room to do anything

OP- I don't see why you would have too drain the coolant?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's in a better spot that the 5.7. That one is tucked up under a manifold ob the side of the engine. There is no room to do anything

OP- I don't see why you would have too drain the coolant?
Yota, I read in the your post in your swap that you actually moved your engine further back into the fire wall. I had a pain in the butt to remove my starter bolts from the behind the engine. You might want to check or reverse your starter bolts.

OP - You should be fine removing the bolts. There are coolant lines that go to the throttle body. If you pinch those lines, you shouldn't have to drain the antifreeze.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts