TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know, I spelled AXLE wrong up there, but I don't know how to fix it so I hope no one gets their panties in a wad over it...if you do...

So, I need to replace one of my rear axle shafts due to it being bent something fierce. I was planning on just buying a stock replacement and some lug studs and putting it back in there. Do I need to get a bearing service kit with the bearing, seals, retainer, and all that stuff? I ask because I don't want to have the truck sitting up for a week while I wait for parts, although I guess it could, it doesn't really matter that much. But, are these parts most likely ruined from bending the shaft and then riding on it the second half of the day?

I don't see anything leaking leading me to belive there is a seal worn out, but I don't know what to thing about the bearings and etc.

Any help would be appreciated but I'm hoping to aviod another $75 purchase for those parts!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You will need to pull the bearing cup/bearing/backing plates and put everything back on with the shaft. It takes a 10 ton press it on and off.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
And sometimes the bearing can get messed up pressing it off the old axle. the shop guy will know. A seal is cheap insurance. That's all I replaced.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Ok 1st next time you spell axle wrong we will kick you butt and kick you out of the club. :D

I would go ahead and replace everything. You could press the old bearing and stuff off and have it put on the new axle but its cheap ins to go ahead and replace it. What axle do you have back there anyhow? I got a couple 85 shafts at the house with bearings on them.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
why not just go to a junkyard and replace the whole wheel assembly. I've replaced mine this way twice for 60 per side. Other than that I just had to replace an axle seal. saves alot of time and money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts