TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title kind of states it all. I've determined the fan clutch is dead(only thing that makes sense)

So I am debating whether to go to Toyota and get a stock unit or go with something from Napa, Kragen, or the like.

Kragen shows Hayden, Imperial, Beck/Arnley, and Ready Air with prices from $92 to $115. Haven't priced a stock unit yet.

Which would you do?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Most here would do OEM, but my truck has 209K on it and I am only spending so much money on it. I went with NAPA for $128. I have not installed yet was one of the nuts is stripped and I have to pull the whole pulley thing out.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
My crystal ball tells me your yr, model and engine will work with what you told use you have? If not, USE SEARCH!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My crystal ball tells me your yr, model and engine will work with what you told use you have? If not, USE SEARCH!!!!
Thank you so much for you oh so helpful reply:rolleyes:

I fail to see how year, model, or engine relate to the question of whether I should use factory or aftermarket clutch fan... but since it seems to make such a huge deal for you, 99 xtra cab 4x4 tacoma with 3.4L engine, 5 speed manual transmission, 3.90 gear ratio,... oh and 31 inch tires.:jack:

BTW, try doing a search of "clutch fan" and see how many results actually deal with something other than transmission clutches.... then tell me how many actually "debate" whether factory or aftermarket ones are better... I'll give you a clue, zero out of the 75 or so results I wasted time scrolling through. Looking into the crystal ball tells me you are yet another :asshat: that frequents bulletin boards with no real function.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Thank you so much for you oh so helpful reply:rolleyes:

Got your thread mixed up with another one. Sorry about that.

I fail to see how year, model, or engine relate to the question of whether I should use factory or aftermarket clutch fan... but since it seems to make such a huge deal for you, 99 xtra cab 4x4 tacoma with 3.4L engine, 5 speed manual transmission, 3.90 gear ratio,... oh and 31 inch tires.:jack:

BTW, try doing a search of "clutch fan" and see how many results actually deal with something other than transmission clutches.... then tell me how many actually "debate" whether factory or aftermarket ones are better...

I looked and there is only a couple dealing with clutch fans.

I'll give you a clue, zero out of the 75 or so results I wasted time scrolling through.

There was only 28 threads, where you get 75? Also if you search then most say so, so that this mistake isn't made again for you.

Looking into the crystal ball tells me you are yet another :asshat: that frequents bulletin boards with no real function.

This is the only forum I use.
Are my bold responces satisfactory to show my humbleness?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gsmsnuffy, your first reply explains it all... my apologies for my off the handle reply. Too many "board warriors" out there who spend more time trying to be cutesy in their replies than being helpful.

As for my more than 75 results, I maxed out the number of results the search engine allows. OTOH, I didn't put quotes around clutch fan for the search.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Title kind of states it all. I've determined the fan clutch is dead(only thing that makes sense)

So I am debating whether to go to Toyota and get a stock unit or go with something from Napa, Kragen, or the like.

Kragen shows Hayden, Imperial, Beck/Arnley, and Ready Air with prices from $92 to $115. Haven't priced a stock unit yet.

Which would you do?
Order one from trdparts4u.com to save a few pennies. Id go with the green fan clutch, thats what i did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This would be a perfect excuse to go to dual Electric fans, i think you can fit 2 12 inch pullers easily or one ford Taurus puller.
search for electric fan.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ARB1977, thank you for the hint... assuming it comes as Toyota genuine part, It was as cheap as local parts stores and half the price the dealer here wanted(before shipping).

ifayeoh, in theory, it would be ideal time and I've got a dual speed taurus in my parts stash. However, odds are pretty high I will be selling the Taco within the next year or so. So, converting to electric would really not be in my best interest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts