TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my fan motor sounds like it's on the way out and needs to be replaced. I looked for a repair manual at the auto store today and they don't have one for my 2001 double cab. Has anyone had to replace the fan yet and was it an easy deal? I replaced the one on my Camaro and it was a piece of cake but will I be as lucky this time. One more quick question. What is the part number for the NGK plugs for the 2001 3.4? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
264 Posts
flttech2003 said:
Well my fan motor sounds like it's on the way out and needs to be replaced. I looked for a repair manual at the auto store today and they don't have one for my 2001 double cab. Has anyone had to replace the fan yet and was it an easy deal? I replaced the one on my Camaro and it was a piece of cake but will I be as lucky this time. One more quick question. What is the part number for the NGK plugs for the 2001 3.4? Thanks for the help.
I've never heard of a blower motor going bad but I had mine out of my 96 to clean the fan blades. It's just up under the passenger dash and I think 3 bolts to remove.

NGK spark plugs:
Standard BKR5EKB-11 3967
V-Power BKR5E-11 6953
G-Power Platinum BKR5EGP 7090
Laser Platinum BKR5EKPB-11 4302
Iridium IX BKR5EIX-11 5464

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You were right about underneath the passenger side dash. The best part is it was like Toyota MADE it to be easily replaced. Disconnect the wire harness and loosen the 3 screws. Drops right out without any troubles. or removing anything else. 2 minute job with a short straightslot screwdriver Mine had a piece of what looked like electrical tape that had fallen into the blades which made the whole interior vibrate at higher fan speeds. Pulled out the tape and good as new. I did buy a fan motor earlier today and the price between competitors was quite different. Autozone $64, Napa $75, VIP $40, all new.

·
Registered
264 Posts
flttech2003 said:
Pulled out the tape and good as new. I did buy a fan motor earlier today and the price between competitors was quite different. Autozone $64, Napa $75, VIP $40, all new.
I hope you can take it back. I wouldn't count on you ever needing it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
does anyone else's fan make a light ticking noise all the time? Mine does and I have pulled it out and the motor itself makes the noise. Any clues as to what I can do?

·
Registered
14 Posts
ddriggers2 said:
does anyone else's fan make a light ticking noise all the time? Mine does and I have pulled it out and the motor itself makes the noise. Any clues as to what I can do?
Yep, just bought a used 2002 Double Cab, and even at the slow speed, the fan sounds like it's one of those film projectors from 30 years ago. My '99 XtraCab didn't have this "feature".

Since you guys say it's so easy to remove, I'll pull it soon and see if there is anything stuck to one of the blades. If not, I'm not sure it's worth the $50 to replace, it doesn't bug me that much, I'll just turn up the XM. :lmao:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pulled the fan, and no luck, there wasn't any debris in there. If I ran the fan while disconnected, I could hear the noise coming from the fan itslef, like ddriggers2 found.

Couldn't find a way to pull the blade off of the motor housing, so I put a few drops of oil on the tip of it, hoping that some will make it's way down the shaft and lube whatever is causing the friction. It did seem to spin a little easier after this.

After assembly (and shooting a few seconds of Glade air freshener into my ducts to combat the oil smell), the sound might be slightly better, though this was with the engine and radio off, so maybe it's better than I think.

·
Registered
285 Posts
ddriggers2 said:
does anyone else's fan make a light ticking noise all the time?
My 2001 EX Cab Fan makes the same noise. It will have to get worse before I deal with it. I only hear it when the radio is off.

Thanks everyone for the info, how-to-remove, cost, etc.

flttech2003 said:
...VIP $40...
Whats VIP? Is that an auto parts store near you? Maybe a mail order place?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts