TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. I have a '99 4runner and the plastic piece on the antenna with teeth on it broke inside the motor. How do I get to the motor to get the pieces out so I can put my new one in. Any good suggestions about how to go about replacing it also.

·
Registered
80 Posts
1st ----NOT nessary to disconnet the antenna or the clamps---NOTHING INSIDE ----

***- unscrew the trim nut on the antenna- remove the rear of the fender liner- 1 10mm bolt on the mounting bracket- 5 or 6 phillips screws around the motor case (after you slide the boot up)- and the main 1 screw in the center of the case-(watch for the blind nuts !)-- lift the lid off and remove the @10" of broken 'cable'--(done with the antenna cable attached and installed)---------- reassemble WITHOUT the mast /cable assy !!!! slide the boot back, replace the mount bolt, DO NOT reinstall the trim nut, turn the ignition on/radio on----- when the motor times out and quits running, feed the cable down as far as it will comfortably go, have someone either turn off the radio or ignition-- the cable will feed down onto the reel---- replace the trim nut---- if the cable didn't completely rewind, radio on/then off and it will completely retract--- replace the fender liner (yes, i know you broke 5 or 6 push pins takeing it off---the dealer has more)-- done !!!!
@ 20 min.

i did this for a living at a TOYOTA dealership !!!!!!!! (15-A /lite line) 18 years----

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
reassemble WITHOUT the mast /cable assy !!!! slide the boot back, replace the mount bolt, DO NOT reinstall the trim nut, turn the ignition on/radio on----- when the motor times out and quits running, feed the cable down as far as it will comfortably go, have someone either turn off the radio or ignition-- the cable will feed down onto the reel---- replace the trim nut---- if the cable didn't completely rewind, radio on/then off and it will completely retract---
It really helps to have someone to turn the radio on for you so that you can hold onto the mast the whole time. I can't see doing this job without an assistant.

·
Registered
80 Posts
AK--- it sure helps to have a third hand !!!!! even the 'Lot Boy' !!!!! (wife/girlfriend/kid--- any will do !!)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I fixed it this morning. I just broke all the little clips and got new ones.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I replaced my motor antenna with a fixed mast like the ones on the Tacoma. It ran me $85 at Liberty Toyota for the fixed base and a black antenna. The stock unit is silver and I got to purchase the black one separately. I did the job in one evening in the garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts