TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there has been a lot of talk over the past years regarding whether or not tires should be changed when they get old - even if the thread is still good.

Lots of different opinions on the subject. Some say is a real safety concern as rubber degrades with time. Others say it's just a scam from tire companies to avoid lawsuits (especially after the firestone issues a while back), and to force people to buy tires more often.

Whatever the case may be, I have put 82,000 miles on my BFG AT 32X11.50:D, and they look as if I could put another 10-15K miles on them:eek: The thread looks pretty damn good still

Here's another pic

I bought the tires in 2006, and the manufacturing date on the tires is 1706 (meaning, the 17th week of the year 2006). So next month the tires will be 6 years old exactly.

I never thought much of replacing the tires due to age, but the other day I noticed this on two of the tires as I was doing some routine maintenance on the truck:

And here's a close up:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I never noticed it before probably because of all the dirt on the tires:p I'm not too concerned because I don't DD the truck much anymore, but still......

So I decided to get new tires anyway. Placed an order on tire rack for a set of KM2s, still waiting since they are back ordered.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on replacing tires mostly because of old age?

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow man. 82K miles on a set of tires?? I'd be very happy with that.
haha, I remember saying to myself when bought them in 2006: "I hope they last for a while." But I didn't mean that long!

I'm not advocating about the brand itself. I know some people on this forum hate BFGs. But I think I just got a good set here.

Beside, i have a Reg Cab, which is lighter than other trucks. Other than that, I just kept the truck aligned as best I could, and faithfully rotated the tires every 6-7K miles from the beginning.

But I certainly got the best value for my money on this set:D

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yeah I'd say you've done pretty well with that set. I always run the BFG AT and have always gotten around 50K on them but with my current set they are pretty worn at 35K but I didnt rotate them like I should have so it's my own fault.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what ply rating ?
Mmm...can't remember at the moment. Will take a look later to confirm.

Yeah I'd say you've done pretty well with that set. I always run the BFG AT and have always gotten around 50K on them but with my current set they are pretty worn at 35K but I didnt rotate them like I should have so it's my own fault.
50K out of a set of tires is pretty good!

I think tire rotation can make a significant difference. But again, I believe the weight of the truck might be a key component as well.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Mmm...can't remember at the moment. Will take a look later to confirm.

50K out of a set of tires is pretty good!

I think tire rotation can make a significant difference. But again, I believe the weight of the truck might be a key component as well.
might be apples and oranges but i bought a 05 R6 back in oct, the tires on the bike were 6 years old when i got the bike, turning 7 years old, and they were hard as a rock. Which for bikes is no bueno ever, so after one bad sliding Innocent, i got new tires.

As for the taco, my 99 4x4 A/T ext cab it had these bfg's on it when i bought it, tires could have had 2k or 10K for all i know but i put 55K miles on them myself, and the rear tires still looked like yours, like 20% left of usuable tread. So i think they are designed to get 50-70K miles out of them. I personally don't like them for wet weather cause they blow ass, but off-roading they work good i guess. My :2cents:, run them into the ground and just save up for a new set of whatever it is you want soon. if your not DD'ing it all the time, and your not hot rodding it around at 100mph wear them out for a bit more.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
might be apples and oranges but i bought a 05 R6 back in oct, the tires on the bike were 6 years old when i got the bike, turning 7 years old, and they were hard as a rock. Which for bikes is no bueno ever, so after one bad sliding Innocent, i got new tires.

As for the taco, my 99 4x4 A/T ext cab it had these bfg's on it when i bought it, tires could have had 2k or 10K for all i know but i put 55K miles on them myself, and the rear tires still looked like yours, like 20% left of usuable tread. So i think they are designed to get 50-70K miles out of them. I personally don't like them for wet weather cause they blow ass, but off-roading they work good i guess. My :2cents:, run them into the ground and just save up for a new set of whatever it is you want soon. if your not DD'ing it all the time, and your not hot rodding it around at 100mph wear them out for a bit more.
definitely don't want to run old tires on a bike!!

I think the BFGs AT - like the ProComps AT - are rated at 50K miles or so. I just never thought going as high as 80K. You are right, the BFGs can be quite unpredictable on the rain:mad:

I'm still driving around, but already placed an order for a set of KM2s. But since they are backordered, I guess I can squeeze a few hundred more miles out of these:D

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
definitely don't want to run old tires on a bike!!

I think the BFGs AT - like the ProComps AT - are rated at 50K miles or so. I just never thought going as high as 80K. You are right, the BFGs can be quite unpredictable on the rain:mad:

I'm still driving around, but already placed an order for a set of KM2s. But since they are backordered, I guess I can squeeze a few hundred more miles out of these:D
At least! those tires are I guess a harder compound so they last longer, but I hated the wet traction on 2 different sets of them I had. ran some nitto's, excellent in the rain/snow and mud, and the toyo A/T's i just sold worked great too, never off-roaded the toyo's though.

The bike, well i didn't know how to read the DOT code for date made and they were made in like late 05. they didn't even looked used really, had a lot of tread left, but when she locked up on me, had a friend check the bike out. He said the tires must have been the issue, and he was correct.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At least! those tires are I guess a harder compound so they last longer, but I hated the wet traction on 2 different sets of them I had. ran some nitto's, excellent in the rain/snow and mud, and the toyo A/T's i just sold worked great too, never off-roaded the toyo's though.

The bike, well i didn't know how to read the DOT code for date made and they were made in like late 05. they didn't even looked used really, had a lot of tread left, but when she locked up on me, had a friend check the bike out. He said the tires must have been the issue, and he was correct.
Glad to hear nothing bad really happened to you on the bike. At least with the bike you only replace two tires instead of four:D

I always had mixed feelings with the BFG ATs. To me, they were pretty decent off-road - especially for an AT tire. My truck has been unlocked in the rear axle for the longest time and those BFG did ok still. Ironically, they weren't too impressive on the rain/snow. I think you're right about the thread compound. It might be more on the hard side.

When the new tires arrive, I'm keeping one of the better BFG ATs to mount it on my spare tire rim, will probably trash the two that have sidewall damage, and perhaps try to sell the other one. Hey, even the "bad" ones have enough thread left to make for great spare tires!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts