TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early this morning after I got off the freeway, my truck was making some nasty noises. Pulled over, called my step dad and he said he was pretty sure it was rod knock. Got a tow truck and now its sitting in my driveway. Is there any good shop in the bay area that will fix this or is it a lost cause? I didn't drive for very long, MAYBE a block but thats it. Thanks for any help!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,934 Posts
Don't know of any that I would recommend off the top of my head, Brian. Did you pull the oil pan and have a look yet? That should be your first step. Get under there and give it a good hard look see.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
generalee7 said:
Early this morning after I got off the freeway, my truck was making some nasty noises. Pulled over, called my step dad and he said he was pretty sure it was rod knock. Got a tow truck and now its sitting in my driveway. Is there any good shop in the bay area that will fix this or is it a lost cause? I didn't drive for very long, MAYBE a block but thats it. Thanks for any help!!!
dang, that sucks :(
my dealership has two top wrenches that I trust but that would be a ways from you. I wouldn't normally recommend a dealership but these guys are pretty darn good.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A guy that's been in the auto repair industry for decades said that chances are I spun a bearing and all the metal flakes are running around my engine scratching stuff up. A short term fix would be to just replace the bearings and a long term fix is a rebuilt short block. He also said that he's only replaced a few bearings on cars and never seen them again but that doesn't mean nothing happened to them.

I'm afraid if I pull the oil pan off and start looking for myself I won't have a clue as to what's wrong. Not to mention that it will cost $150 to just have the mechanic drop the oil pan and diagnose the problem. At this point I would rather have a rebuilt short block to drop in only because I don't want to deal with this for a very long time :)

How much for your spare motor, Dick???? :):):):D:D:D:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
Brian, I don't know of any reputable mechanics in this area that i'd recommend to do that kind of work. Bob has torn into his engine a little, but that was mostly on the upper end, not the lower.

You should just take the oil pan off and remove the main caps one by one and inspect them. I've got the FSM from my 97 that you are more than welcome to use if you want.

Steve
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help Steve. Is there any way that a bad knock sensor would cause the knocking? Do our motors even have knock sensors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
brian i have a car trailer here if you need to borrow it.
i just took my car to BP (beetle power) motors in Pleasanton. the guy races baja, started specializing in VW's, and now works on everything. been around a while and i'd go back (just picked my VW up from there== he's worked on it twice).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
snowchucker said:
brian i have a car trailer here if you need to borrow it.
i just took my car to BP (beetle power) motors in Pleasanton. the guy races baja, started specializing in VW's, and now works on everything. been around a while and i'd go back (just picked my VW up from there== he's worked on it twice).
Damn! That dude is still around????

I remember breaking my VW bug in Pleasanton, and it quit on me RIGHT across the street from their shop.....I walked over there and asked if someone could help...he came over, looked for about a minute, and said, 'you need new points'....come here. Sold me some points for like 5 bucks, and walked me thru installling them....VERY NICE people there.

I didn't know they branched out to NON-VW though....

Sorry to hear about your truck, Bri. I think you should drop the pan yourself and take a peek though....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,934 Posts
Yes our engines have knock sensors, at least the 3.4L does. I doubt a bad knock sensor would cause that problem. It really only comes into play with a lot of loading on the engine i.e. you're gettin on it and then only at lower RPMs. Because of engine noise I think the ECU blanks it out at higher RPM and high load. A spun bearing could be a possability.
You ain't gettin my engine unless you pay a whole lot of money, more than you want to anyway. My advise is to shop the salvage yards for a good replacement engine. Toyota wants a whole lotta money for their stuff and they don't have a good engine program in place. At least not one that I've heard about. My dealership parts guy said that dealers have been on Toyota to put one into place for a long time now but still no cigar. For what they want for just a short block you can pick up a Summit catalog and get a full blown ready to rock small block crate engine or two.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,844 Posts
generalee7 said:
Early this morning after I got off the freeway, my truck was making some nasty noises. Pulled over, called my step dad and he said he was pretty sure it was rod knock. Got a tow truck and now its sitting in my driveway. Is there any good shop in the bay area that will fix this or is it a lost cause? I didn't drive for very long, MAYBE a block but thats it. Thanks for any help!!!
call the two local Japan engine places (South City and Oakland) and see what they have at the moment. A while back the 3.4s were going for $1500-2500 depending on ? I have no idea. all have under 35k miles and have a guarantee.

or, how about dropping a new 4.0 in there? :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
snowchucker said:
brian i have a car trailer here if you need to borrow it.
i just took my car to BP (beetle power) motors in Pleasanton. the guy races baja, started specializing in VW's, and now works on everything. been around a while and i'd go back (just picked my VW up from there== he's worked on it twice).
Thanks Chuck, I'll keep your trailer and BP in mind :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Angry Andy said:
Damn! That dude is still around????

I remember breaking my VW bug in Pleasanton, and it quit on me RIGHT across the street from their shop.....I walked over there and asked if someone could help...he came over, looked for about a minute, and said, 'you need new points'....come here. Sold me some points for like 5 bucks, and walked me thru installling them....VERY NICE people there.

I didn't know they branched out to NON-VW though....

Sorry to hear about your truck, Bri. I think you should drop the pan yourself and take a peek though....
Talk about breaking down at the right place! :D I ended up just having it towed around the corner to this guys shop. We'll see what he finds! Hopefully he'll be able to give me a quote on finding and installing a rebuilt. If it ends up being too much, I'll definitely have to find a motor myself and have a little wrechathon at my place :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dick Foster said:
Yes our engines have knock sensors, at least the 3.4L does. I doubt a bad knock sensor would cause that problem. It really only comes into play with a lot of loading on the engine i.e. you're gettin on it and then only at lower RPMs. Because of engine noise I think the ECU blanks it out at higher RPM and high load. A spun bearing could be a possability.
You ain't gettin my engine unless you pay a whole lot of money, more than you want to anyway. My advise is to shop the salvage yards for a good replacement engine. Toyota wants a whole lotta money for their stuff and they don't have a good engine program in place. At least not one that I've heard about. My dealership parts guy said that dealers have been on Toyota to put one into place for a long time now but still no cigar. For what they want for just a short block you can pick up a Summit catalog and get a full blown ready to rock small block crate engine or two.
I'm wondering if I'd be able to pull off an engine swap. As you may know, my truck is a federal truck. Doesn't have all the California smog stuff on it. I am really curious if I'd be able to swap in a 350 without troubles LOL :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hytenor said:
call the two local Japan engine places (South City and Oakland) and see what they have at the moment. A while back the 3.4s were going for $1500-2500 depending on ? I have no idea. all have under 35k miles and have a guarantee.

or, how about dropping a new 4.0 in there? :p
Thanks for the info, Chris! I'll definitely check those places out :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news! Japan Engines in Oakland has V6 Tacoma motors for $1650 with an unlimited amount of miles in a certain amount of years or months. That price is also including heads too (which I may or may not need)

One thing I have heard about those motors from Japan is that the Japanese run the shit out of their cars and get rid of them after a certain amount of miles (32k-35k). Can anyone confirm this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,934 Posts
In Japan they have some strange law that makes it cheaper to have a new car than to keep an old one and keep registering it every year. I think the cost for registration keeps going up every year you keep it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dick Foster said:
In Japan they have some strange law that makes it cheaper to have a new car than to keep an old one and keep registering it every year. I think the cost for registration keeps going up every year you keep it.
I'm part Japanese. My grandma is full, maybe I should ask her :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
generalee7 said:
Good news! Japan Engines in Oakland has V6 Tacoma motors for $1650 with an unlimited amount of miles in a certain amount of years or months. That price is also including heads too (which I may or may not need)

One thing I have heard about those motors from Japan is that the Japanese run the shit out of their cars and get rid of them after a certain amount of miles (32k-35k). Can anyone confirm this?

Thats a decent price!

I have my camper shell on currently, but if I could get a third person to come help pull it off with mike and myself....I would be glad to pick the motor up for you since I work in Oakland every day......(that is, IF you go that route)....

Unless its palletized, it might fit with the shell on, but its probably better to remove it anyways.........

Just an option for ya....im glad to help out if I can.
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top