TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i got the Donahoe 98-04 Stage 2 Tacoma suspension package $1,715.00 What other stuff would i need ...? transfer drop, axle shims, ??

·
Registered
933 Posts
You will need an extra boot so you can kick yourself in the butt for not spending that money toward a solid axle. That would have put you half way there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shovelracer said:
You will need an extra boot so you can kick yourself in the butt for not spending that money toward a solid axle. That would have put you half way there.
even useing this as an every day truck you think i would be better off with the solid axle swap
I have a lot to learn :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
shovelracer said:
You're saying that you can do a complete SAS for $3430.00?

·
Registered
933 Posts
yep thats about right. I spent 3800 on mine, but I did already have the wheels and tires. But if you are going to lift it you are going to get them anyways. Also I do all my own work and have access to all the neccessary tools. If you have to pay someone than it could cost 5-6K. Of course I would never do that cause all the shops around here are hackers. If you went super cheap you could have it done for closer to 3000, but would have weak links that would need upgrading eventually like lockers and steering. Even better if you can find an already built axle for cheap.

·
Registered
933 Posts
odblevi said:
even useing this as an every day truck you think i would be better off with the solid axle swap
There are benifits to each setup. Problem is that most spend the money on the IFS, get bit by the bug then realize later that they should have just SASed it. I drive my truck everyday as do others, but mine is not my only vehicle so I can afford it to be down from time to time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
odblevi said:
If i got the Donahoe 98-04 Stage 2 Tacoma suspension package $1,715.00 What other stuff would i need ...? transfer drop, axle shims, ??

You will need sliders and a Hi-Lift jack in the event of a flat tire, at the least. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
266 Posts
shovelracer said:
yep thats about right. I spent 3800 on mine, but I did already have the wheels and tires. But if you are going to lift it you are going to get them anyways. Also I do all my own work and have access to all the neccessary tools. If you have to pay someone than it could cost 5-6K. Of course I would never do that cause all the shops around here are hackers. If you went super cheap you could have it done for closer to 3000, but would have weak links that would need upgrading eventually like lockers and steering. Even better if you can find an already built axle for cheap.
Thats really cool, I assumed a SAS would be 5k++ The 5 year plan for my taco has a solid axle in it, but only after I have another DD.

·
Registered
351 Posts
odblevi said:
A SAC isn't the "ultimate answer" to every question, you can gain alot of experience and have a ton of fun with your original plan especially if you are still relatively inexperienced off road. That experience and skill will go a long way to making you a better driver and help you get a feel for what you really need if you ever decide to SAC it. plus you can sell you're junk and make some of the money back.

IFS will still let you tackle some really crazy stuff. :D

As far as your original question, you should'nt need any additional stuff, cept for some bigger meats to stuff in there. Go ahead and pound down that pinch weld while you're in there, get some sliders and a you'll be ready to hit the trails.

Be aware you're extra 2-2.5 inches of space in there doesn't mean instant clearance for 33's. Tire and wheel selection is still important to prevent rubbing on the frame rail during turns.

Oh and I'd suggest a nice BudBuilt skid before I worried about any rear bumper! You mess up a bumper and, so what? You mess up a oil pan/ steering rack etc, and :eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SEREvince said:
A SAC isn't the "ultimate answer" to every question, you can gain alot of experience and have a ton of fun with your original plan especially if you are still relatively inexperienced off road. That experience and skill will go a long way to making you a better driver and help you get a feel for what you really need if you ever decide to SAC it. plus you can sell you're junk and make some of the money back.

IFS will still let you tackle some really crazy stuff. :D

As far as your original question, you should'nt need any additional stuff, cept for some bigger meats to stuff in there. Go ahead and pound down that pinch weld while you're in there, get some sliders and a you'll be ready to hit the trails.

Be aware you're extra 2-2.5 inches of space in there doesn't mean instant clearance for 33's. Tire and wheel selection is still important to prevent rubbing on the frame rail during turns.

Oh and I'd suggest a nice BudBuilt skid before I worried about any rear bumper! You mess up a bumper and, so what? You mess up a oil pan/ steering rack etc, and :eek:
thanks for the advice, this is exactly why i joined this sight a lot of great knowledge. I cant wait to get some money together and start buying :2cents:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts