TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading a right up at the yotatech forum about the resonator removal, it was done on a 2002 4runner with a 3.4 liter, there is a vacum line that attaches to the fpr(i have no fuckin clue what a fpr is, the only motors i have every wrenched on seriously are vw motors, none of these crazy ass parts were on my 67 bug), on the 4runner there was a capped off vacum line that he attached the fpr to, my 04 with a 3.4l doesnt have that capped off line, my question is this, if i remove the resonator and replace a portion of the intake tube with pvc or metal tubing where could i re-attach the fpr, could i tee into another line, tap into the intake tube, and what the fuck does the fpr do anyways? has any1 does this type of mod, i know it will sound cool without the resonator in place but are there any other real world gains?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
gary briggs said:
i was reading a right up at the yotatech forum about the resonator removal, it was done on a 2002 4runner with a 3.4 liter, there is a vacum line that attaches to the fpr(i have no fuckin clue what a fpr is, the only motors i have every wrenched on seriously are vw motors, none of these crazy ass parts were on my 67 bug), on the 4runner there was a capped off vacum line that he attached the fpr to, my 04 with a 3.4l doesnt have that capped off line, my question is this, if i remove the resonator and replace a portion of the intake tube with pvc or metal tubing where could i re-attach the fpr, could i tee into another line, tap into the intake tube, and what the fuck does the fpr do anyways? has any1 does this type of mod, i know it will sound cool without the resonator in place but are there any other real world gains?

fpr = fuel pressure regulator

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
gary briggs said:
nah 90 bux for 1 foot of plastic im trying to do this cheap trick style

Yeah, it's $90, but how much is your time worth? I ordered the MIT and had it installed, problem-free, in less time than it took you to type out this post. To me, that was well worth the $90. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got nuttin but time, when i dont occupi my time i spend money, this will keep me busy for awhile, i have figured out the parts required to make this piece to remove the resonator, it will cost 11 dollars and probally take me 45 minutes to install, how hard is it to cut out the section that the resonator ties into the air intake and replace it with some tubing. and if i fuck it up i can allways have the air raid over nighted!

·
Registered
116 Posts
gary briggs said:
I did this, and I did notice some gains (nothing drastic, but I did feel a "seat-of-the-pants" difference, mostly at high RPMs). The vaccum line off the resonator box can be teed into the intake plenum above the intake manifold, just like in the picture of the 4runner. I ended up putting my resonator back on because the intake noise was way too loud for highway travel (I commuted a lot). For me the noise outweighed the benefit. If you want to do it way cheap, just duct tape the opening of the resonator, then clamp it back into the intake, and you won't have to worry about find plugs for the openings, and all that is left is to reroute the vacuum lines. Quick and easy, and the engine compartment will still look stock.

·
Registered
109 Posts
a cap off a 20oz gatorade bottle fits perfectly in the resonator hole.. just put it in there and crank down the hose clamp. on the side of the intake plenum facing the front of the truck there is a capped nipple, pull that cap off and re connect the vaccuum line there. on the write up for the 4-runner, there is another line comming off that nipple and they tee off that line. you may need to cut back the line a little because the diameter might be stretched from the nipple it was connected to. just cut it back to where it is not stretched and it will connect just fine.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
cant seem to find that capped line as shown in the 4 runner write up, i will have to look again, gatorade cap does fit perfect bye the way

1 - 10 of 10 Posts