TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have an 03 double cab that is stock. i am concerned about the frame bending so i am thinking about getting the reinforcement plates installed.

does anyone have any advice as far as having a shop do this? i figured a good 4x4 shop would be able to do it just not sure if anyone around here has had this done to their truck?

also, i really only drive the truck on the road and it is stock. i am planning on replacing the suspension for either an ome or the wheelers 5 pack. i dont want to lift it at all or a max of 1" or so. i only use the truck to possibly pull a trailer or just running around. no offroading or other shenanigans like that. so in yalls opinion do i need to worry with the plates?

thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Make sure U don't have a frame rust issue! Toyota will replace it if it does. And plating it will only cause problems w/the Toyota warranty process. No heavy tires, no haulin, no hard wheelin' ... shouldn't need plating anyway.

Re: suspension, don't waste Ur $. If no lift, then put some new shocks & struts on it. KYBs or Billis make a BIG difference.

Just my cheep two cents.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
OH yeah don't listen to anybody else here. They are all CRAZY! They'll have you doing a big ole lift, huge tars, SAS, gears, bumpers & on & on ....

Oh yeah ... Welcome!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I pretty much have to walk Ed's line here.
If you don't wheel it, and all you do is drive it around on the road, then I see absolutely NO need for plates,

·
Registered
947 Posts
Plate the frame, stick 37's on it, and rock out.

In all seriousness, you don't need to plate it...Alabama roads aren't that bad.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
your frame is plated all the way back to the bed and then its "C" channeled. Old man emu makes awesome products and will handle your Tacoma's needs.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
if you carry heavier loads i would plate the frame. i believe mine got tweeked hauling firewood...granted it was probably too much but i dont think it helped. could have also been from wheeling, but who knows. I boxed my frame in myself.

if you want to get it plated check out WabFab, i believe he is somewhere close to birmingham? he might be in that nasty town that starts with T and ends with an A and likes the tide.

·
Registered
525 Posts
if you want to get it plated check out WabFab, i believe he is somewhere close to birmingham? he might be in that nasty town that starts with T and ends with an A and likes the tide.
Brian is in Tuscaloosa. wabfab.org

like everyone else said, no need for frame plating, and some new shocks will make a world of difference... bilstein FTW

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Blue Torch in B-ham

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts