TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*ADDED NEW PICS FINALLY*

Knocking off the dust off my old project Tacoma that was beat to hell, then boogered together then left to sit as my life turned into an adult. If you are new then you might not know that several members of the SoCal Chapter of TTORA, supported by companies like Demello Offroad (these guys are awesome!), Deaver Springs, Bilstein, Alloy USA, back in 2003/4, borrowed my truck when I was vacationing in Iraq & Kuwait. They bobbed, SAS’d and primered the body. Completely transforming my truck. The maiden voyage was actually filmed for a pilot off road show in 2005, during our annual Big Bear run… that was a blast!

Before I go any further I have to say thanks again to everyone who helped, donated parts, money or time to my truck project. DEMELLO, WYATT, DAN, ALL YOU SOCALers- THANK YOU!
It really helped coping with being a civilian again by doing something I loved dearly. I'm still having some issues being back home, so I am really looking forward to Zen time in my truck.

I started this resurrection project in December of ’09. Though I wasn’t running by KOH, it will now be ready by Takeover in Big Bear. Now that is a trip--- my second maiden voyage will be again in BB. Ahh, aint that sweet.

The Project:
'00 Bobbed Tacoma, SAS with Waggy D44, Deaver Leafs F/R, 37" iroks on Allied BL.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Man, it was like falling asleep to the same nightmare over and over again as I uncovered the problems that lead to the current stains on my driveway. The worst of it was finding out that my motor and tranny were not bolted down in anyway since the motor mounts are shredded, and the rubber isolated tranny mounts were completely torn apart I was one jump away from dropping my entire driveline to the floor!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Hey Lyle, Can't wait to see you on the trails again. You were the one that actually got me started in TTORA all those years ago. Now look at what you done did. LOL. And it was in big bear that you got me to join TTORA. How about that.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Good to see that rig again. I have some old pics of us all back in the day that I should send you. Funny stuff. Me and Frank are looking at heading up there for a day just to say hi to everyone. Get that rig done.

John
John, That would be cool to get the old group back together again. Now that we all have kids and stuff... well, at least the rest of you have kids now:D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Let me see, so far:
-Stripped and resealed the single xfer case, still have to replace the front seal. It is on too tight to break the nut free while on the bench or standing on it. Gotta get the tranny mount completed so I can get better leverage.
-Carrier Bearing replaced, and all new driveshafts from Krylon. You should have seen how it looked when I started to move, it didnt rotate in place on a common axis, it did a wild lob of movement like like a jump rope. NO MAS!
-stripped front frame rails, plated inside for new motor mounts with top & bottom wrap arounds, plated and re-sleeved for steering box.
Before

In Progress

-built new frame side motor mounts- raised motor 1", sits on top of frame and entire length of inner rail, 1/4" sides and mounting flange, 3/16" top/bottom. Bolted on Rockstomper motor mounts.

Pic is mocked up sides and mounting flange vs stock frame mounts. I did tweak the stocker a bit when removing, but it was rusted in 3 locations that ripped and broke apart.

Rockstomper bolt in frame mounts to replace stock rubbers. Their bushing is rubber to help absorb some of the vibes, but solid mounted to keep motor bolted even if they fail.

Here is my version of a poly tranny bracket, way before Trail Gear or 4xInnovations had them.. I wish they did, this was a pain.

I used basic tabs on the lower part of the stock tranny mounts. It can still be unbolted like factory, but now have a metal-to-metal protection in case of another failure.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered front and rear Crown brakelines (6" over stock) from Marlin and new frame clips. Drained the old brake fluid.:doh:

I got the front calipers media blasted with poly beads to remove all the years of brake grime and cheap paint. Then hit them with silver brake caliper paint. BLING

I ordered Motul 5.1 brake fluid after doing way more research than necessary. I could have went with vatozone, but since I hardly see any write ups on performance fluids I begun my quest to look for better quality ingredients. My truck has been in an abusive relationship, so I am playing make-up.

Motul 5.1 fluid exceeds the Dot 3 and 4 boiling points yet is still compatible with both in the emergency need for more fluid that anyone has, not like Dot 5. If you havent heard of it, check it out http://shop.edoperformance.com/motul...d-p-15033.html

No this isnt a bottle of Guiness and Becks. No I dont drink MGD 64, my brother in law does. This is the initial drain and first flush.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man i feel like its been forever since i last worked on any rig. Like a virgin! I was just thinking how lame this low-tech thread is to hard-core fabricators and wheelers and though i've been around for a bit, feels like i dont know shlitz anymore... oh well. Im just glad im getting back to it.

Since I have the front axle out, and everything else under the framerails, I've spent countless late nights cleaning out the gunk, fixing leaks, stipping and repainting just about everything.

The front Deaver springs still had bent center pins from hitting the K-rail at 60mph back in '05. Duct tape kept the leaves from fanning before it got parked. I finally removed the tape, replaced the pin, lubed and repainted.

Ive been through 3 sets of shackles of various lengths and lost all but the set on the truck that I made back in the day. I couldnt get two bolt holes to align if i stacked all four plates. I ordered a clean set from Blue Torch Fab.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am primarily focusing on what I can do at my level of fabrication, but mostly on reliability and cooling. Replacing all fluids and filters, split hoses, burned wires-bulbs-and fuses. Before I put focus on all the wants, I need to get this thing running, and running great.

Prior to the truck sitting, I replaced the motor with a T100 5VZFE to make it an easy swap due to the SAS. The OG motor was modified by D.O. to rotate the oilpan and dip stick, etc. My starter blew and broke teeth from the flex plate. Had the stock replacement treated by Longfield prior to going in. I love that guy---NO HOMO-- he is awesome to work with.

Check out the missing teeth on the left side of the flywheel- KA-PLOW!! in my work parking lot.

I also had the tranny rebuilt, im surprised it could even shift. I had my valve body and torque converter rebuilt by Level 10 with guidance from Gadget On-line.

Now I am going with all new fluids perty much bumper to bumper; Lucas, Redline, Motul, Amsoil and Royal purple pretty much throughout the truck. . Im even gonna give the Water Wetter and straight water a run for awhile to see how much cooler if any the motor runs. (Well mostly because I was so excited to fire it up late at night for the first time in a long time and forgot to get anti-freeze). I was going to go with Evans NPG+ coolant, but found Water Wetter on sale.

Since its parked more than ran, oil conditioners are being mixed in to avoid idle break down of the fluids, since I put more hours than miles at this point. Im not running a crazy motor, but any help my 3.4 can get to last as long as possible is worth it to me.

I know its not necessary, but i have beat the hell out of more Toy motors and trannys than I have vehicles. The history of this truck is far from fair treatment, so I feel like it deserves a royal treatment since it was abused for 5 years before sitting for the last 5. Trying something different than just Vatozone liquids cant hurt anyone, except for my wifes shopping budget!

Prior to firing it up, I clean the entire air intake; box, amsoil air filter, MAF sensor, tube, throttle body and went ahead and ordered LC Engineerings full circle TB gasket. Toyota no longer stocks the OG TRD supercharger piece. The stock tin has a D-shape opening, partially blocking air flow. I know- minor crap.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am running a Flex-a-lite dual fans on stock replacement radiator. Prior to re-installing, I added a steering cooler, and an additional tranny cooler.

I am waiting on the replacement of my steering fluid until I add a HA ram. I already have a PSC pump and reservior, a tapped steering box, and as said a cooler.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Taking a break from the undercarriage I spent some time inside. I've uncovered alot of mouseshit, so a full detail was needed. The dash was pulled apart, center consult, all door, and back cab seats and panels. Replaced the old skipping Kenwood head unit with a cheap Sony CD player with Aux input. Its hard to remember life prior to my Ipod. I replaced the door speakers with Sony as part of a xmas gift of a stereo and 4 speakers. I sold my old sub, so I have to remount an old truck box with 10" JL sub and my old Kenwood amp. It wont come close to comparing to the system in the Tundra, but will work for now.

Man i really didnt know crap about trucks back in the day. I look back and laugh at my wiring, booty fab, and zip tie masterpieces. Its actually probably better that I waited so long. Patience is somthing I never put into the truck until now.

I've been growing helpers since I live so far away from the old crew.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been messing with trying to remove the stock rear axle shafts, but looks like im gonna leave it to the pros. I have to find a way to get the shafts to Yota Master in Corona so they can swap in my Alloy chromos, press-on new bearings and wheel studs and replace in the drum backing plate. Ive left work 3 days this past week early, so I have to make up lost time first. I have to find a projects in Corona so I can do it on work hours! hhhmmm

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
John, That would be cool to get the old group back together again. Now that we all have kids and stuff... well, at least the rest of you have kids now:D
Hey Wyatt aren't you a grandpa now..lol

I've been messing with trying to remove the stock rear axle shafts, but looks like im gonna leave it to the pros. I have to find a way to get the shafts to Yota Master in Corona so they can swap in my Alloy chromos, press-on new bearings and wheel studs and replace in the drum backing plate. Ive left work 3 days this past week early, so I have to make up lost time first. I have to find a projects in Corona so I can do it on work hours! hhhmmm
The guys at yotamaster will take care of you. If you need anything just let me know. I look forward to seeing that beast again.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Hey Wyatt aren't you a grandpa now..lol

The guys at yotamaster will take care of you. If you need anything just let me know. I look forward to seeing that beast again.
Hahaha,

You so fuuuuny! NO!

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
J- your crew has always done a great job and offered a hand, and you and Kim have always been supportive of everything i've gone through- Thanks bro. I will be setting something up here soon, but will have to be after BB.

Wait, do you think I could borrow the Motive brake fluid pumper? I can swing by on my way to yotamaster and bring it back to BB, if its not planned to be used anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts