TTORA Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
We barely found a camp site before the sun hid behind trees and we unloaded the truck in the dark. After a quick haul ass session through the trees and up to the back side of John Bull testing the rock lights. We headed back to camp for some brews. I averaged 3-4 hours of sleep the week leading up to Big Bear, but its running once again....

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
So how did it do on its 2nd maiden voyage???

LIKE A CHAMP!

Things that need to be addressed:
I didnt replace the straight water and water wetter... temps ran high on lengthy slow moving uphill climbs under torque. Gonna drain and add in 50/50 antifreeze. The electric fan ran fine, and the temps would drop literally immediately once we stopped for even a short break in idle.
*edit* also found out that the old thermostat was stuck open.. replaced, flushed coolant, with standard 50/50, and new cap... stays cool in the driveway now atleast. We will see how the next run does.

I need a expandable and containable breather for the PSC reservoir, it spit out alot as is did back in the day. Steering never whined and felt pretty dam good, even after getting it up to 45mph for the first time in years @ 7psi on asphalt.
*edit* actually found out that back in 04-ish i installed the PS and Tranny cooler wrong not allowing the systems to bleed correctly. I tore back out the radiator during the flush and remounted and replaced the hoses per PSC's website. They didnt have this on-line back then.. i dont think. No more spit up so far. It seems to be holding much much better.

BAD

GOOD

I need to readjust the entire steering system, steering wheel is off center, and the steering box is hitting its limits before the knuckles do.

Shocks need to be rebuilt and valved... they seem too stiff for even a mild ride with small rocks and didnt help with any of the sway. Trent was running the same shocks and his ride was completely different than mine.

The rubber hard-mounted motor mounts and poly shackle-style tranny mounts gave some driveline vibes as expected. But its not my daily driver, so who gives a crap.

I was told by the brake shop that my master cyl has worn internals and needs to be rebuilt.. a more extensive look at the brake system is in store.

I forgot that I should have installed better spark plugs.. not the single style.
Not sure if it was the reason why, but the truck seemed sluggish. I never did check the timing, so I probably need to tune motor a bit. Hopefully it wakes it up. I did run injector cleaner, replaced the fuel filter, ran several bottles of octane boost during the short runs, and ran 91 octane this weekend... my check engine came on but that might be due to a freshly oiled filter and dirty MAF, and being up in BB of course.

I finally got the OX locker to install without me knowing it as I reviewed videos of Mottino Wash action. So that is one thing off the list.... all tires turn.. not rebuild it not to break when they do...

·
Registered
204 Posts
what up big dog? My taco took a poo and I got rid of it. Driving a Z 71 for now while I look for a 06/07 double cab.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
I hit a few more trails last year before parking it for the winter for repairs. The hammers were unforgiving and had me home limp and dripping like some great sex. Nothing but smiles!
I just noticed I bent both sets of my "new" front BTF shackles.. DAMN THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Getting readin for Big Bear 2011, this weekend. I think it's all dialed in for this run until I see what else needs attention. During these last couple months, Rock Solid Toys was gracious enough to order and install a marlin crawler and twin sticks;

with the gracious help of friends (Thanks Dan, Wyatt and Jason) we also installed the rear traction bar;

Welded on the front bumper after I bent the hell out it, knocking it loose and breaking my DS marker light.

Not shown were the 1" wide x 8" long openings in the back portion of the cab, as the wall and floor ripped apart on both sides of the trans hump. Dan welded and caulked it shut.

I had a 4WPW gift certificate and cashed it in for a bed mounted angled spare tire holder.

I also fabbed up a rear seat platform back at the house for my boys first off road trip this weekend.

Dont trust just good products, but trust in great companies.

The Wife has been skeptical about the boys wheelin my my "junk" but after the last couple years of its major overhaul, it is finally time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Just reminiscing over 2010 Big Bear and realized I had my Blue 07 Tundra and a borrowed trailer (Thanks again John!).

My wife worked out a deal on my B-day this past December to trade in the 07 2wd, for a '11 4wd. This time, besides the 4wd selector switch, I got a back up camara, and an JBL sterero. Longo Toyota let me take them both home to return Ol Blue's stereo back to stock, and I also swapped the Bilstein Front Adjustables from the '07 into the '11. Of course I swapped the Nittos onto the the new TRD wheels, making Ol Blue 100% stock again and my 2 day old '11 a notch above stock.

I picked up a 2010 16' PJ trailer a few months ago and some Mac's Custom tie downs.

I have since replaced the entire truck stereo system with Ol Blues Alpine Component, subs and stackable amps. All new wires from the Pioneer DVD/Nav head unit to the hidden crossovers, and two sets to each door. Even the rear doors have tweeters. I Dynamatted the back wall, double lined the back doors, lined the front/back floors as much as I could without tearing out the front seats. The backs were tore out for the install and heavily dynamatted. I dynamatted the outter skins on the front doors before my budget ran out. That shit is expensive!

This past weekend, I installed a trailer brake controller,

...and now we are ready to tow in style.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Very nice indeed. Im in the process of installing the Type R components and sound deadener in my Tacoma now. Clean install and Tacoma!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Theres my old roll dog-Pep! Hope to see you at the hammers soon. I just need to mess with the cable on the Ox a little more and put on a Hydro Ram.. Seems my only problems are steering againsts bolders and an unreliable front locker.

The locker must just be centimeters off. It will engage and disengage on its own, when ever I can get it to lock-in. So close...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Very nice indeed. Im in the process of installing the Type R components and sound deadener in my Tacoma now. Clean install and Tacoma!
Thanks brother. The dynamat made a huge improvement. No more vibrations anywhere. I am only using a single 10" sub under the rear seats, and it hits WAY better than it did without the dynamat. With the windows up, it has gotten rid of the the tire hum, and you can barely hear the exhaust rumble. Much easier to cruise now.

Be sure to double line the doors, the outer skins and inners. turns your door speakers into little subs!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Since the last run, still experiencing probs with the Ox and Power Steering adjuster nut keeps unloosening.

Through research I have found how to re-adjust the power steering box via the top adjuster. I guess each time the nut came loose I re-tightened it not knowing the threaded adjuster was actually loosening. I had to cut open the wheel well more to access with a flat-head screw driver.

I tightened it all the way down and backed off based on the steering wheel play. Feels much better on jack stands so hopefully dirt will prove the same. At least I can access now with the more wheel well opening.

I spoke with a Ox rep via several emails. We have diagnosed it to a faulty cable. It is easily seen that the cable sheath has pulled away and exposed the underlying outer cable assembly. I just thought it was a protective cover. I ordered a new cable and a remanufactured new style shifter for the Ox as my xmas gift:suicide:. Great customer service.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
As an added xmas gift, a family of mice moved into my engine bay again and decided to insulate their beds with my wires. So before even fixing the Ox and ordering air bumps for the front dive, I am in the middle of a near complete re-wire.

I have yet to install my new Ridgid Industries 10" light bar and the pair of Duallys, mostly due to the over crowded positive Optima battery post.

So now I have to re-wire my electric fans, tranny temp gauge, front and rear rock lights and CB. Now is the perfect time to add a auxilary fuse block... pics and details coming soon....:D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Check out my rewire thread here...

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185756

I am extremely happy with the results, and everything has worked perfect so far. The mice have moved back in, so I will have to keep an eye out for nesting. I would put a sticky trap, but my luck they would get stuck and get the trap stuck against components in the engine bay. Since its wheeling season, I usually leave the tires on, and I can imagine its pretty easy for a field mice to climb.

Too bad I hate cats and the wife is extremely allergic to them.:banghead:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So I decided the night of the KOH race that I needed new parts so I decided to blow out my rear ring and pinion, and every front shaft and u-joint all within 15'. I ordered my Yukon R&P via Rocksolidtoys.com from Marlin. While I was placing the order I picked the quad flange (see below) & full face rear diff guard.

So what I didnt know up front was that the 4.88 gears for the Elect locked rear Toy V6 R&P, the new pinion has a lower number of splines than the stock pinion. My rear axle came from a friends truck so I had no idea about anything other than knowing its locked with 4.88 initially. Since my pinion/driveshaft flange was so beat to hell, I ordered a new one. I could reuse the beat one for a back-up on the spare rear I have now.

Eric and Jay at Yotamasters took care of me once again and rebuilt my 3rd with the Yukons, some new bearings and installed a solid pinion spacer... shit I just realized I didnt get my old pinion flange back!!! WTF Eric! I will hit you up next time I'm down there, but guessing its in the can by now.

So now that the rear is ready to be re-installed, its time to order front end parts. So here is my dilemma... Upgraded Chromos and Longfields joints and hopefully afford a hydro ram with my left over cash, or screw the ram now and get some RCVs. Then buy the ram some time later......:confused:

41 - 59 of 59 Posts