TTORA Forum banner

Retarded question: drilling rivets?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  STOMPER 
#1 ·
alright, attempting to install my donahoe bumps in the rear on tuesday and i need to remove the stock bump stop pad on the frame which requires me to "drill and/or grind" the 4 rivets on each side to remove the pad. now heres the question. what is the proper way to drill them out? i googled it but couldnt really find an answer. should i start with a pretty small bit and drill the very middle of the bolt and just work my way up until the head of the rivet begins to spin to show ive drilled it out or is there another process? i also purchased my first angle grinder the other day, would this be a better route? yes, i realize im pretty tool illiterate, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

#2 ·
get an air chisel :)

you just grind out the head, and you can see what size bit you need to run through the rest of the rivet. or just grind off the head and use a punch and push it out

#3 ·
brock said:
alright, attempting to install my donahoe bumps in the rear on tuesday and i need to remove the stock bump stop pad on the frame which requires me to "drill and/or grind" the 4 rivets on each side to remove the pad. now heres the question. what is the proper way to drill them out? i googled it but couldnt really find an answer. should i start with a pretty small bit and drill the very middle of the bolt and just work my way up until the head of the rivet begins to spin to show ive drilled it out or is there another process? i also purchased my first angle grinder the other day, would this be a better route? yes, i realize im pretty tool illiterate, but you gotta start somewhere, right?
This is a good way to remove them.

#4 ·
STOMPER said:
This is a good way to remove them.
Which way, he's asking the question?

It would just be better to drill out the same size that it is currently.

If you don't have the room, just grind the heads off, then punch um out with a punch and a hammer.

#5 ·
sweet deal... so grind off the head with the angle grinder and then punch it out would be the easiest way? i was thinking drilling would take a long time since id be drilling through metal over and over, lol.

#6 ·
i would snap it with my air chisel, chop the head off then use it to punch the rivet through

but if you dont have one, then get a grinder, dring off the head, and hit the rivet with a punch and hammer.....

#8 ·
Grind the head flush and use an air chisel to punch out the slug. Takes a few minutes for each rivet and is so much easier than drilling the heads, plus you don't obround the rivet holes in the frame.

#9 ·
NorcalPR said:
Which way, he's asking the question?

It would just be better to drill out the same size that it is currently.

If you don't have the room, just grind the heads off, then punch um out with a punch and a hammer.

The way he asked. You drill out the side without the button. Use a bit that is the same size as the pin and it will come right out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.