TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 does not have a tow package, but it came with a nice 6000 lbs tow hitch reciever. I understand that without the tow package I should keep it below 3500 lbs. I don't have a lot of towing needs but I might want to be able pull a trailer in the future. Now, according to the almighty Internet, all that "tow package" consists of (for a 5-speed Tacoma) is a different cooling fan for the engine.
In the manual, it describes the way to see if you have the tow package:
Look down at the fan shaft, between the fan and all the belts. If it's green, you have the tow package, if it's orange, you don't. Well I looked and mine is orange. So maybe I can just buy the other fan with the green shaft.

Can anyone verify this and do you know how much the upgraded fan costs?

I'm interested in getting the tow package (if it's not too expensive) so that I'm able to tow around 3500 lbs and not be afraid that my engine will blow.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think most people get a new Hayden stacked plate cooler. Don't have any part numbers close by. I think they cost $100 or so. If you can, search the old Delphi forum, it came up there about 2-3 time a month.
I've towed 1500-2000-lb worth of Sea Doos to Lake Powell through northern AZ mountains w/o an issue. i have the V6 as well. I think 3500lb should be ok but I'd recommend getting trailer brakes.
Do an internet search for Hayden tranny coolers. Some people also put a Ford Taurus fan in there if I remember correctly. High flow, electric I think.
Good towing.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a 5 speed though. Is an automatic better for towing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts