TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a really retarded idea, but has anyone ever thought of doing a rear ISS (independant suspension swap). Probably more work then it's worth, over, say a 3 or 4 link, but it sure would be unique, and if done right (if possible) it would probably handle pretty damn well.

Upon further reflection definitely more work then it's worth, but still it would be damn cool.

·
Registered
870 Posts
i might be wrong but i see little benefit, yes its unique and different but besides that it adds very little ground clearance, reliability?, ride quality?, too many questions for me (and 6G's just scares me, thats a little less than half of what i paid for my truck). i would rather have a portal axle

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
SantaCruzRC said:
This may be a really retarded idea, but has anyone ever thought of doing a rear ISS (independant suspension swap). Probably more work then it's worth, over, say a 3 or 4 link, but it sure would be unique, and if done right (if possible) it would probably handle pretty damn well.

Upon further reflection definitely more work then it's worth, but still it would be damn cool.
Not really worth it. How many trophy trucks do you see with IRS? For the money a live rear axle works better and is more reliable and gets more travel. (and yes I've seen Pleuger's new one....no need to post up links and pics)

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Only truck that it ever really worked for in it's day was Stewart's Toyota back in the day. That truck was way ahead of it's time back then, but nowadays straight rear axle trucks can acheive a LOT more travel without wearing out rear CV's/axles. Not worth it dood :cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that's basically what I figured from the beginning. Sorry about the repost.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You could always buy an H1...
The CWIINC kit looks extremely similar to a Jag rear end (even the inboard discs) that a lot of hot rodders use...a friend of mine has one for sale ($950) if the $6K scares you..Useless for off road

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
ive seen a full on longtravel race truck with a-arms in the rear before (just a picture) i dont know the specs , ill try to find the picture when i get home from school tonight

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just like IFS, if properly designed IRS would be advantagious in every situation except rockcrawling(which even that is arguable). This is why even ATVs and SUVs are moving toward this technolgy. The reason trophey trucks don't use this technology is because most of them are still designed and built by drunk desert rats in garages. How many desert fab guys do you know with mechanical or structual engineering degrees. When the right resources and brain power are put into it IRS is superior in all but rock crawling. Case in point would be Ivans Toyota or most of the trucks in the dakar ralley. That being said solid axle is definatly cheaper and easier for peasents like us, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
"The reason trophey trucks don't use this technology is because most of them are still designed and built by drunk desert rats in garages."

Yeah okay that makes since right? Do you even know anything about desert racing? Statments like that are sad to see, might want to think twice next time.

·
Registered
450 Posts
This type of setup has and is being used in racing. One of whom was Ivan Stewart and there is also a Chevy running it in MDR. Take a look at this link http://castlefab.net/projectranger.htm .

Running an IRS on a 4x4 or trail quad is fine but on a desert or sand quad fuck that. Look at the vide of the quad Polaris made (predator I think) it handles like shit in hard turns.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
yes it works, yes its used

no its not prevelent- why? the rear would need to be excessively wide in order to achieve the travel #'s you can with links, cv's are another limitation. while this would not be a problem in races this side of the border, fitting through cattle gates in Baja would be pretty tight if not impossible/impassible, not too mention those years when sal gets frisky and sends the racers through the pine forest:D

·
Registered
711 Posts
badmoonrising said:
ive seen a full on longtravel race truck with a-arms in the rear before (just a picture) i dont know the specs , ill try to find the picture when i get home from school tonight
Here ya go :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Basically it seems like if executed it would be awesome, but you'd be hard pressed to

a) say you're driving a tacoma anymore, with all the extra fabbing you'd need to do and

b) get out of debt after spending all your rent, food, child support, tax, bill, and clothing money, and selling both your kidneys.

And it would only be a little more awesome then a 4 link.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts