TTORA Forum banner

Richard's 89 Turbo Runner -The Creep-

66K views 111 replies 17 participants last post by  RiskyRicky 
#1 ·
So been meaning to create my buildup to keep track of how my 4runner has evolved. So this will be an ongoing thread of upgrades/mods I have done over the years.

A little background, had been wheeling my daily driven taco, and decided wanted to do more extreme trails not worry about hurting the DD. So began looking around and ended up buying another vehicle hence my 4runner. I am currently pursuing a Electrical Engineering degree at New Mexico Tech, so time/money has been limited. From my numerous hours browsing forums I have learned quite a lot, and In doing so all mods have been done by me.

So purchased my 89 4runner in November of 2009

Upon purchase several major modifications had been done by the previous owner. There were several minor issues with the truck, such as leaking front crank seal, window regulator broken, gauges not lighting up, rust, minor stuff. List of initial specs to follow:

SPECS as Purchased

ENGINE:
Air Research T3 Turbo
Custom Manifold
Turbo XS Boost Controller
Turbo XS RFL BOV
Supra Intercooler
3 in exhaust
40 series Flowmaster
DOA Racing Cam
ARP Head Studs
Factory Turbo Computer
Factory Turbo AFM
440CC Supra Injectors
K&N Intake
Auto Meter - Pyrometer, Boost Gauge, Oil Pressure and Air/Fuel Meter
GReddy Turbo Timer
Optima Red Top Battery
LUK Pro Gold Series Clutch
Marlin crawler dual cases 2:28|2:28

SUSPENSION:
FRONT:
SAS 85 Pickup axle 5:29 gears
ProComp leaf springs
Trail gear trussets
Knuckle Ball Gussets
Bilstein 5150 front shocks
Trail Gear front diff armor

REAR:
Tacoma E-locker rear axle 5:29 gears
TrailGear 5" Leaf springs
TG Elocker Guard

ARMOR:
Rock Sliders

OTHER:
Hanneman Fiberglass front fenders
Pionner CD Player
Spray-in bed liner

First Trail run:

First run out in Socorro: BHD

See less See more
#2 ·
So initially began fixing up all the minor problems. New crank seal, window regulator, etc. Really wanted to armor the runner first so Ended up purchasing Marlin Crawler front bumper and picked up a used Chicago electric winch with synthetic line. Began building a rear bumper with wrap around protection.

And wheeled the piss out of it:

Ran in The NMT MudBog I helped Organize

Oh ya and was featured in 4WheelDrive Events Page for the 2010 Chile Challenge
http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/events/1010_4wd_2010_chile_challenge/

#4 ·
So pretty much that summer of 2010, really needed a front locker, so got a used lockright, installed in front diff. Fairly simple install, had done a few of these already in my taco and my cousins pickup. Fully locked now and yes still with stock front birfs.

After plenty of trail runs, found out with the turbo in there, engine bay was getting super hot, enough to damage my spark plug wires. So to fix this got a set of Taylor High Performance High heat Spark plug wires and a turbo wrap to contain some of the heat.

The rust on the runner was pretty horrible on passenger side, the usual locations they all seem to get it. Right above wheel tub and along gas door. So my first real sheet metal work. Cut out rusted area and replaced with new sheet metal. Also shaved off mirror locations/holes.

Not a huge fan of the color RED, especially with mine so mismatched with the fiberglass front fenders, and decided to repaint the entire 4runner. Using HotRod Flatz Gunsmoke Metallic. Its a urethane based pre-flattened ready to spray low-gloss color with the desired satin primer appearance. LOOKS TITS!

Also took this opportunity to add hood louvers to help exhaust some the heat created from the turbo.

Finished Paint

#5 ·
Wheeled her like this for long time, picked up some cheap baldish Iroks and sold the MTR's. The 'well experienced' Iroks actually hooked up a lot better than the MTR's ever did out on the rock in Socorro NM. mostly fossilized rock.

#6 ·
First real damage on the trail. Blew up a MM hub. This hub did not use stock cone washers, which allowed some play on the studs. Ended up shearing all 6 of them and blew up hub body.

So I tried to use an easy out to get the broken studs out, and got all but one. Decided to get another spindle assembly. At that time, was able to purchase a single MM hub and replace it for now. In time plan is to get arp studs and go back to original asian hubs.

#7 ·
Hydro assist is in, went with TG's kit and taped box myself following the thread on marlin crawler. relatively easy install, did add a steering cooler that I got from summit and also a larger reservoir, picked out of the junk yard from a Isuzu rodeo or something of that sort.

#8 ·
Time for LONGS...

Had been wheeling stock birfs fully locked, hadn't broken one yet, but didn't want to deal with the hassle on trail. Found a good deal on some used longs off of Pirate, and ordered up chromo 30spline hub gears, arp hub studs and Trail Safe Knuckle Ball Wiper Seal. Also picked up some Asian hubs from a buddy. Used the camo method...

So it began..

Marlin crawler Eco seals..

LONGS in with trail safe seals...

ARP hub studs...

So i ran into a few problems with ARP 2000 Hub Stud Kit
First of all they were super easy to install with the hex head. But when I began torquing down the nuts they kept stripping before I reached the right torque range. I had issues with nuts stripping, but that was easy fix, Stock nuts would torque down no problem,but I didn't have any. I needed my truck, So I fixed it with local hardware Of course I could have contacted trail-gear and Im sure I would have had excellent customer service like always.

I know all the controversy over whether the hex head is on the right side and what not, but When I installed these taking out old studs with double nut was ridiculously tedious. The hex head head design was nice feature and IMHO saved time and effort.

#9 ·
Finally decided to Bob the runner...

Got kinda tired of dragging rear end, So began taking measurements looks like 10in would be max I could cut out with a fully functional tail gate. Me and my cousins began hacking it up, and welded it all back up together. Took 12 hr in the garage and some lunch.

First line marked...

Cutting began...

Second line 10in forward...

Chopped off excess boxed it in, remounted body mount...

Began piecing it back together...

#14 ·
Plan is to keep the top off, especially now ;) But do have some plans to to either buy the Killer Toy Tops cab partition, which would essentially seal off driver pass area with soft top deal Or build my own.

As far as tires. Yes they are Maxxis. Working on a full review, should have it up here soon.

#15 ·
So It was time to get a cage, I played with the idea of Inner vs Exo for some time. The trade offs between the two And when it came down to it I feel that extra protection of the body is well worth the extra tube outside.

So had a buddy of mine who primarily does Baja type stuff build my cage.
He goes by DNA Fabrication out of ABQ.

All steel is 1.75 inch .120 DOM tube and 1 inch .120 DOM for gusset stuff.

Pulled off to weld bottom side.

Welding cage on

Back got finished and painted cage all up

#16 ·
New Tires YAY!!

MAXXIS CREEPY CRAWLER 37 12.5 15

Picked up some used beadlocks for really cheap. They were a pretty crappy yellow color, kinda see on the inner of the rim. So stripped all that off and painted with some good old Rustoleum. Painted up rock rings to match.

Only complaint I can see is these are the 16 bolt Bead locks and the rings are kinda thin steel.

Getting them all mounted up...

#17 ·
So with the runner back home, began working on rear shocks. Wanted to do /\ triangulated pair in the back.
Fabbed up an upper bracket out of some square steel. Drilled out a hole and sleeved it with some weld washers and a bolt sleeve.

weld washers I used

Bottom brackets are axle side shock tabs, welded nut on the back side.

New 14inch 2.0 FOA remote reservoir shocks Installed...

To mount the ressi's I used some sweet tabs from poly

#21 ·
Rock Lights...

Looked around for good lighting solutions and this turned out to be the cheapest and had some fun factors.
Purchased VisionX Tantrun Light kit. There pretty rugged fully sealed LED lights. With aluminum mounting casing. The mounting screws are ridiculously tiny so I drilled them out to use a #6 self taper. The lights have several strobe and pattern affects which are fun for around the camp.

#23 ·
Love the truck & the buildup, but the cage looks like shit. So many un-needed little dinky braces. :2cents:

#24 ·
To each their own, I know many people are not a fan of exo cages especially on Toyota, but I wanted practicality and protection over looks. I think my cage came out awesome and is supported where needed. The only thing I would probably change is to maybe try to get the cage closer to the body next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.