TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I went out and played in the snow with my truck for about 30 minutes or so, nothing too heavy, just cruising around. Ever since then, my engine feels like it's lugging in every gear and I'm burning close to 3/4 tank every 2 days or so. I thought that the rear e-brake might be partially engaged and while working under the truck today I noticed that the tailpipe is sootier than normal, which I know can be indicative of some fuel mix problems. I don't think that I have a caliper engaged or something like that because I haven't noticed any abnormal smells. Any ideas on where to start diagnosing this problem?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Check the e-brake, I've had mine lock up in snow but it usualy thaws out.. After driving around for a bit, walk around and feel each hub - if one is locked up it will be way hotter than the rest.. check the front too, you could be a front one locked up.. Next would be air filter, MAF sensor (clean) Throttle Body (clean), etc to make sure it's getting air and fuel correctly.. if it's bad enough it will eventualy throw a check engine light..

Also check and see if maybe you hit the exaust or something, and it's constricted..??

Just a few ideas...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the ideas. Already tested the e-brake theory and both unlock completely (that's how I noticed the tailpipe). If one of brakes was engaged wouldn't I feel an extreme amount of drag on one side and/or smell something?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If a brake was dragging you'd most likely smell it or see smoke coming from it. Plus your truck would be all over the road in the snow if one was locked up. Sounds to me like your MAF is dirty.

·
Registered
199 Posts
on the way to moab dick was spewing out black smoke and burning up gas like no other. turned out to be a bad o2 sensor. is your truck throwing a code or anything? im guessing the fuel mixture is off

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't have a code reader, but the check engine light isn't on. Anybody know how to clean the MAF?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts