TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 taco V6 automatic. I have a 4.10 gear. I m going to put a 35 inch tire on my truck. How will my truck do with stock gears? MPG?
I was thinking about changing to a 4.88 but thats alot of money. highway use only.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,537 Posts
Thats a big jump in tire size to not change the gears. Besides the obvious fuel economy loss, your transmission and engine will have to work harder to get the truck rolling, meaning shorter life on those components, especially the transmission.

Speaking of the fuel, lets use a hypothetical fuel economy drop of say 25%. Yours will probably be more with that tire/gear combo, but 25% is an easy number to work with.

So, lets say you drive 15,000mi per year and gas costs $2.50 and your original gas mileage is 17MPG. That means $2205 in fuel costs for a year. So recalculate that for 25% drop in fuel economy to 12.75MPG. That means $2940 in fuel costs for a year. So in the first year, your gonna spend almost $750 more in fuel with those bigger tires.

Now regearing costs about $1100 for a 4WD Tacoma. You'll save almost that much in fuel and wear & tear the first year if you have the gears done. Even more savings if gas prices are above the $2.50/gal example I used. Sounds like you should factor that in and do the gears when you install the tires.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Or don't install the tires if you can't afford the gears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts