TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so Ive followed the site for a couple years now, through a couple formats and just now getting to my first post. I've got a high pitch ring between 2100 and 2600 rpm whether driving or in neutral. took the skid plate off to make sure that wasnt it. sounds like a loose washer rattlin around and arond but cant find one. Its a 2.7 and the local import guy thinks could be a broken timing chain guide? any thoughts or anyone else delt with this? I'd appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I get the same thing in mine for about 6 months now. Info about the truck in my sig. Mines a 3.4. Can't tell if it's coming from inside or outside the truck. Same rpm range as you. I thought the same thing about a loose washer too. Thought maybe it was the springs under the passenger seat but can't confirm. Really no idea! Glad to see I'm not alone tho.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I had a similar sound that was there at the same rpm range in my 3.4 v6. It took me forever to find it. Just like clock work everytime in the 2400 rpm area it was there. Truck moving or not. I seperatly removed belts to try and isolate the noise. First I removed the AC compressor belt. Noise still there at RPM. Next power steering. Nope not that. Since the alternator had been changed with the noise still there I knew that wasn't it. I had just done my timing belt a year back. While I was in there I replaced the idler pulley so I new it couldn't be that. It didn't sound like a water pump but I thought just maybe. So with all the belts removed except the timing belt and the timing belt cover removed I started the truck. No noise. So I decided to turn the crank by hand last ditch effort to find something wrong. I decided to verify the timing marks. While doing so I over shot the marks. I am only using a short ratchet to turn the motor. When I tried to back the crank a little the crank bolt spun freee with very little effort. HHhhmmm... It was a loose washer that I heard. The crank pulley seemed tight by shaking it by hand. But once I stuck the air impact on it it started slowly to pull back in towards the motor about 3/8" or more. No more noise at around the 2400 rpm range. Who would of thought. Good Luck

Trent

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
timing chains and the guides used on the 3RZ-FE are more bulletprooof than the older 22RE.
Toyota went back to using metal timing chain guide pins.
they tried to be cheap and started using plastic timing chain guide pins
I have just over 153K and have no problems
is your tacoma a stick shift or auto?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
dstrbdone said:
I had a similar sound that was there at the same rpm range in my 3.4 v6. It took me forever to find it. Just like clock work everytime in the 2400 rpm area it was there. Truck moving or not. I seperatly removed belts to try and isolate the noise. First I removed the AC compressor belt. Noise still there at RPM. Next power steering. Nope not that. Since the alternator had been changed with the noise still there I knew that wasn't it. I had just done my timing belt a year back. While I was in there I replaced the idler pulley so I new it couldn't be that. It didn't sound like a water pump but I thought just maybe. So with all the belts removed except the timing belt and the timing belt cover removed I started the truck. No noise. So I decided to turn the crank by hand last ditch effort to find something wrong. I decided to verify the timing marks. While doing so I over shot the marks. I am only using a short ratchet to turn the motor. When I tried to back the crank a little the crank bolt spun freee with very little effort. HHhhmmm... It was a loose washer that I heard. The crank pulley seemed tight by shaking it by hand. But once I stuck the air impact on it it started slowly to pull back in towards the motor about 3/8" or more. No more noise at around the 2400 rpm range. Who would of thought. Good Luck

Trent
I know squat about engines so where is the crank bolt? Can it be tightened by hand or do you need air tools? Will I mess up the timing by tightening it? Surprised to here it really is a ringing washer we heard! 2000 - 2500 rpm gives just the right vibrations I guess.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Now take in mind the sound that I am describing was not an octane ping. Which would be heard under load. If I held my RPM's at around 2400 Moving or stationary with no load the noise was very constant. Like clock work. And it just happened to be the crank bolt that was loose. If your truck makes this noise also while parked at said RPM then it can't hurt to check the crank pulley. Turning it will not affect your timing as long as the timing belt is installed. Air tools are highly prefered to tighten the crank bolt. If you are lucky it could be an octane ping. Try increasing your octane level.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah mine is a 2.7L and I get this puring sound sometimes only does it when I'm getting on it. But it still gets up so if it isn't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the response guys; have not dug into it yet but at least now i have couple ideas of where to start. The truck is a five speed and the problem seems right on with that of dstrbdone-- the noise is constant and predictable, in gear or in the driveway. I have tried higher octane with no result, as well as no better MPG's, so back to running regular @ $2/gal. Being in the land of NASCAR and 112 octane gas at the corner citgo i have been running a couple gallons of super gas mixed with a whole tank of premium once every 6 mos or so. Like tufemup the ringing is only been around six months or so but I am getting increasingly eager to solve it as the stereo is becoming insufficient.

As to two years to post--- well thats just procrastination at its finest. No really just now got set up with my own cpu and High Speed and have the time to use it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got r done--- it was a washer of sorts here too. popped the hood and looked around trying to locate the ring while pulling on the throttle cable. I followed the noise to the culprit, a fitting on the supply end of the fuel filter. Dont have the official repair manual so I dont know th exact name but it is a ring with three half circles cut out to slip over the brass fittings of the filter and hose connection. Wasnt real excited when i saw it because i replaced one of these a year ago on a friends truck, and that was when i lived with a garage and air tools. Definitely could use a contortionist midget mechanic here, dont really know how the Japanese do it. I checked the clamp and it was tight(although someone at sometime only put one clamp bolt back in place), checked both ends of filter and they were tight but the gap remained, so I went for the quick fix. With heat not seeming to be an issue i slid a zip tie behind the fixture to act as a washer until i can get it apart for a closer look. But no ringing ina any rpm range!!!! ANy one know why this gap is present? Can you clock this piece around to a different size semi-circle cutout(from its position you cannot see the third cutout size)? again I do appreciate all the help.

For those with the 3.4 this may not be your answer, but might be worth the check. However the fuel filter on the 6 cylinders is under the driver seat mounted to the inboard side of the frame rail(Much, much easier to change or even touch for that matter). Not sure if it uses the same end pieces if the fuel lines do not connect at 90 degrees. IF not guess it is back to the crank bolt. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Out of curiosity, why did you wait 2 years to post?
I think more people should follow his lead. I read the old delphi board for at least a year before I ever posted. That's how you learn, grasshopper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts