TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A damn rebar sticking out of some rocks ripped my outer CV boot. It looks like the entire boot is still there, just ripped a little with a little grease coming out. My question is, since I have ADD, is it bad for me to drive the truck for a day or two till I get a boot replacement (assuming no off roading)? Also I went to O'Reilly autoparts and they have a "universal" cv boot that closes around and straps shut. This seems like a bad idea considering I go off road and through deep water sometimes. Is there anywhere that sells a "normal" cv boot that slides/pulls over the cv shaft? I want to make sure it is sealed... Thanks ahead of time for any info/help!!!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Yeah, you'll be fine to drive on it for a while, but you need to be sure to clean out all the contaiminated grease and replace it with fresh grease. And don't waste your money on the universal boots, get some good boots and do the job right. Call the folks at www.trdparts4u.com for the boot kit and grease.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i just replaced mine.
i drove with it torn for about 2 months (as far as i know).
if you dont have the right tool to get the clip off it can be a bitch.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Blinn79 said:
Is there anywhere that sells a "normal" cv boot that slides/pulls over the cv shaft?
:confused:

You have to disassemble the cv's to put the boots on
Looky Here

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that link... that will come in VERY handy tomorrow when I change it. At least this happened right when I am about to do a brake job... so I will have the brakes off anyway. Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I was just doing a little research and realized they make "high angle" cv boot kits. I plan to lift my truck anywhere from 2.5" to 3" in the next month or so. So should I just go ahead and get the high angle kit now since I already have a torn cv boot? The price between the high angle and the dealership is only $10. The kit is sold @ offroadsolutions.com

"These CV boots have been completely re-designed to work with high angle applications, such as lifted vehicles. The boot stretches further over the joint and the bellows are placed further apart to keep them from contacting, extending the life of the boot. Kit includes 1 boot, 2 clamps, and CV joint grease, 2 kits needed per vehicle."

Anyone have a opinion about these or used this kit?

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are mixed opinons -

How much are the boots?? You can get a new CV for 100 bucks or if you like staying with toyota stuff i believe TACOZILLA can get you a re-man toyota CV for about 115.

IMHO, it is much easier to just replace the whole assembly then try and replace the boots. That grease is some nasty shit and it takes a whole lot longer to do the boots then it does to just replace the whole assembly.

Check out here to a great write up on replacing the CVs

Changing a CV

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cv boot kit w/metal locking bands and grease - $25 from Champion Toyota

1 - 9 of 9 Posts