TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pointed towards River City diff in Sacramento to set up my third. Can anyone vouch for their work?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
UKMyers said:
I was pointed towards River City diff in Sacramento to set up my third. Can anyone vouch for their work?
River City did my diff when I SAS'ed.......went fine........BUT

Tundra Ted did an SAS just a few months later. Dropped all the stuff (front 3rd, new gears, and new ARB locker) off at River City and came back the next day to find nothing done. Ted drove from SoCal to Norcal to get his shit DONE, and River City dropped the ball. Ted/Bentup called me, cause I have the same gearset and a new ARB installed at the same time. Snowchucker came by and 'borrowed' my rear 3rd (my truck was down doing a timing belt change at the time), so Ted could get home.....and Bentup took the shit back from River City and sent it over to West Coast Differentials....and I reinstalled it and have had no issues since.

Ted's rear end blew up about a year or so later.....dont know if thats related to RC, but one has to wonder.

RC is a pothead, who does sparatic good work. I had no complaints personally, but after he fucked over Ted/bentup, and meeting him and seeing his work makes me skeptical to wanna do business with him again.

Go to West Coast Diffs....bottom line.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info... ! :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man West Coast wants $300 to set up my third because I didn't buy my gears and locker from them. Looks like I'll take my chances at River City. I only paid $400 the last time I did gears and that was with dropping off my whole truck and not just the third member.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've had Sean do all of my 3rds and he does great work... When he works. He has been known to take a day off to rescue a fellow wheeler in need... Justifiable? Maybe. He set me up with some stock used RnP for cheap when he could have charged me a bunch more for a new Precision set up. I like when The Almighty Dollar isn't the only driving force behind someone's business. Integrity is hard to find these days and he's earned it in my book. I did hear about the BentUp debacle, would not have been happy about it, but don't have the full story... but I have had nothing but good experiences with him.

And for what it's worth, DON'T EVER BUY GENUINE GEARSETS FROM 4WP!!!! they are crap crap crap. I blew out 2 sets in 5 runs that I didn't think were all that difficult.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The diff shop next to my shop, Jaws axle and differential, does some really good work. I havent asked how much they would want to do a toyota third. My shop is at 5720 roseville Rd, and they are just next to us. I dont have their phone number, and they arent their right now, but let me know, and i will get it for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
he did the gears in my old camaro. which came out fine, but he forgot to add the limited slip additive.... so i drove the car for a week with the most awful sounds coming from the rear end. took it back and he fixed it. he said he added it the first time but he didnt. simple screw up but not ok in my book.

i would go back, since he did fix it and have it back to me that day...

im on the fence with that shop... sean seems like a good guy, might just have the occasional screw up. but dont we all

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jon thanks for the info.. Well I'm finally ready to get my third set up and been calling around today. FAO in Vacaville won't do it either because I bought my stuff from somewhere else. River City is charging $250 and they are currently backed up almost 2 weeks. I was really hoping to get this stuff done this week.

·
Registered
95 Posts
sorry to dig up an old post, but did you get your third taken care of? I talked to the guy next to us, and he was saying that he could re-gear my third for like $300 - $350, including parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
jonwanner
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing