TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my mechanic pulled the heavy rubber shifter boot cover (the one that bolts to the floor) off several weeks ago, I have had a serious increase in road noise in my cab. It sounds sort of like whining gears but there also appears to be a slight increase in all noise around my shift levers.

What he did was take the front part of the center console out, the heavy rubber shifter boot off, the thinner transfer case shifter boot off, and then pulled the transfer case shifter out of the transfer case while looking for the source of a gear oil smell. The increase in noise started immediately after he put everything back together so something that he did caused this.

A few weeks ago I took the front part of the center console out and drove around the block and the whining gear noise was still there. I then took the heavy rubber shifter boot off and drove around the block and the whining noise was completely gone (but there was of course an increase in road noise and one hell of a draft). This leads me to believe that something is up with that rubber shift boot.

Have any of you experienced this type of problem before and if so, how did you fix it?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Check the fluid level in your Transfer case first. You shouldn't be hearing gear whine. If that turns out to be fine then pull the center console again to make sure the plate is mounted securely at the base of the shifters. On the 4WD selector there are 4 bolts that hold down the plate to that rubber boot piece... If that doesn't work then call Marlin.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, make sure the shift boots were put back in properly. If they are not lined up right, they will prevent the stick from fully engaging. Happened to me after doing a 1" body lift, it was most noticable was in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check the fluid level of the transfer case although the truck was serviced in late November so it should be okay. I may not be correct when I say gear whine but that's what it sounds like to me. Also, when I took the rubber boot off and drove around the block a few weeks ago, the whining noise was gone. Once I put it back on, the noise was there again. This is what makes me think there is something wrong with how that boot is sitting on my floorboard once it's bolted into place.

The only other thing I can think of is the mechanic took the transfer case shift lever out and then put it back in again and I'm wondering if it was clipped back into place properly. I'm pretty sure he put it back they way it's supposed to be because it feels like it usually does and it doesn't come out when I pull on it. This leads me back to the the rubber shifter boot being the problem once again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
kd6ecz said:
Also, when I took the rubber boot off and drove around the block a few weeks ago, the whining noise was gone. Once I put it back on, the noise was there again. This is what makes me think there is something wrong with how that boot is sitting on my floorboard once it's bolted into place.
Sounds like you isolated the problem...

·
Registered
773 Posts
kd6ecz said:
I'll check the fluid level of the transfer case although the truck was serviced in late November so it should be okay. I may not be correct when I say gear whine but that's what it sounds like to me. Also, when I took the rubber boot off and drove around the block a few weeks ago, the whining noise was gone. Once I put it back on, the noise was there again. This is what makes me think there is something wrong with how that boot is sitting on my floorboard once it's bolted into place.

The only other thing I can think of is the mechanic took the transfer case shift lever out and then put it back in again and I'm wondering if it was clipped back into place properly. I'm pretty sure he put it back they way it's supposed to be because it feels like it usually does and it doesn't come out when I pull on it. This leads me back to the the rubber shifter boot being the problem once again.
I think you found the problem. I don't see how a boot would go bad though..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was also thinking that maybe the rubber just got old and isn't sealing as well as it used to. I'm going to take a closer look at it this weekend and I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I finally got around to taking a closer look at things this afternoon. I pulled the center console cover off from the area around my shifters and noticed that the carpet was underneath the shifter boot. Thinking that this might be the problem, I loosened the screws that hold the shifter boot in place, pulled the carpet out, and then tightened the screws again. I drove around the block and my road noise was still there.

I then pulled the shift boot off again and took a look at the transfer case shift lever. I pulled the shifter out of the transfer case and then reinstalled it to make sure it was seated properly (it was). I then installed the new shifter boot and took a drive around the block. This time the noise was gone! It appears as though the rubber on the shifter boot had gotten a bit fatigued over the years and was no longer sealing properly after being removed a few weeks ago. The brand new shift boot sloved the problem which is a good thing considering it cost me $90 at a local Toyota dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts