TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am heading down with a buddy and down south to do the off-road weekend thing with a bit of camping thrown in. Right now the plan is to leave Thursday morning 9/13 from Chicago IL, stop at the Badlands in IN for the day, then drive down south. Initially the plan was to head to Wooly's for Friday and Saturday and then drive back on Sunday but I am starting to question if there are better places.

Any thoughts on where I should head to for two days of wheelin? I see Coal Creek/Windrock Park and that looks like a solid place.

Regarding difficulty, I am looking for moderate. No lockers but have most other toys such as 33's, winch, etc.

Thanks
Kevin

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
we covered woolys in about a half a day, the one time we went...

I would say Coal Creek would keep you entertained for two fulls days ...

Golden Mountain is also a great spot, though, I think it's only open on weekends (Sat/Sun). But if its raining, I wouldn't bother.

Harlan, KY (Black Mountain Rec. Area) is also worth the trip, plenty of trials and beautiful scenery. Its probably my favorite park, with Coal Creek coming in second for the size alone.

If you could swing it a week/two earlier -- we have a huge group going to Coal Creek on Labor Day weekend - details in my signature.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Perfect idea on Harlan KY, I think we will go there. It will shave off an hour from the drive and looks to have a few other options to keep us entertained.

Appreciate the offer for the 8th but have work so I cannot go.

Kevin

·
4,068 Posts
Harlan is nice, but if you are looking to stay a little closer to home, look into Redbird SRA in Dugger, IN and there is also Interlake DNR property in Lynnsville, IN near Evansville.

If you are set on Harlan, I would skip the Badlands and go right to Harlan. There are some of us that go the Badlands about every other month so you could always tag along for that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts