TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ABC13 Eyewitness News
(12/11/04 – SANTA FE, TX) — A video game notorious for violence and mature content may have actually saved a Santa Fe family.

Back in March, Sandy Wilson was taking care of her three grandsons when a group of men attempted to burglarize her home, pointing a gun at the kids.

The children happened to be playing a video game called Grand Theft Auto at the time. The game has dozens of random police scanner messages, which blare out calls such as "This is the police! You’re surrounded!" Believe it or not, Wilson says the burglars heard that message and thought police were outside the door waiting for them.

Galveston County Asst DA Michael Elliott explained, "The police in the game were staying, 'Stop, we have you surrounded. This is the police.’ The burglar, unknowingly, thought this was the actual police and panicked ... being apprehended by Playstation."

"Thinking that it was pretty funny," recalled young victim Chaze Fisher. "How they were, like, ran off, and they got all scared over a game."

Police arrested the four men. Samuel Woodrow received a five-year prison sentence this week. Ronnie Farris is serving four years. Lucas Griffin got probation. And Zachary Brandenburg’s trial is in January.
(Copyright © 2004, KTRK-TV)

source:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/121104_local_videogame.html

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
obex26 said:
Only in UTAH :rolleyes:
What do you mean?

You think it's good that kids are allowed to play games that they aren't allowed to purchase legally?

Let me add that I'm not a Utah resident nor was I raised here and nor do I have any family here. I'm not religious. I'm simply coming from the standpoint that there isn't enough responsibility in this society. Parents would rather put a block on channels than actually show responsibility in not letting their kids watch certain programs and being with the kids when they are watching television.

I'm not blaming violent video games or television programs for society's ills; I'm blaming lack of responsibility by parents.

This is coming from a kid that was raised by divorced parents and spent most of his after-school life by himself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sharkaholic said:
i don't know if that's embarrasing or cool that this happened just up the road from here.
Well, I didn't read the article close enough the first time so I assumed it was Santa Fe, NM....Being an Albuquerque resident, it didn't even phase me that someone in this state (criminals specifically) would be clueless enough to get run off by a video game :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
no where does it say how old they are. They could be 17, and they parents could be out of town and they could be staying at thier grandma's. Still I do agree with you on the violent video games at young ages. I dont think that it should be 17 but more around 15. Just my .02

Brian

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Reckelhoff said:
no where does it say how old they are. They could be 17, and they parents could be out of town and they could be staying at thier grandma's. Still I do agree with you on the violent video games at young ages. I dont think that it should be 17 but more around 15. Just my .02

Brian
Good point, though it does say "children" and "young victim," which can be construed to mean grade-school kids.
Plus, look at the way the "young victim" Chaze Fisher speaks: "How they were, like, ran off, and they got all scared over a game."
He's either a young kid, like 10 or maybe younger, or a really unintelligent 17-year-old.

It doesn't matter, though, because they aren't my kids (don't have any period) and it's not my grandmother.

Weird story nevertheless.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dallas996 said:
Well, I didn't read the article close enough the first time so I assumed it was Santa Fe, NM....Being an Albuquerque resident, it didn't even phase me that someone in this state (criminals specifically) would be clueless enough to get run off by a video game :)
we have a whole new breed of idiots down here, including the criminals, so it doesn't surprise me any. i guess it could be the pollution from all the oil refineries (in addition to all the in-breeding).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts