TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone using for rock lights? I was thinking of the vision-x tantrums. I'm sure I read that a few on here are running them? How do you like them?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Im running em and nate has some. they are awesome. super easy to install. draw no power, and are almost too bright. the control box is big, ugly, but works. i just use the wireless remote to control em and have the box hidden from view. great investment if you ever wheel at night.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im running em and nate has some. they are awesome. super easy to install. draw no power, and are almost too bright. the control box is big, ugly, but works. i just use the wireless remote to control em and have the box hidden from view. great investment if you ever wheel at night.
Wanting to get into night wheeling this summer so I will probably get these.
Gonna have to get the multi-colored ones for extra HP.:rofl:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I should have gone that direction with the Vision-X Tantrums. I bought 3 sets of cheap fog lights from Wal-Mart and have them wired to a aux fuse block. I still don't have it completed but by the time you buy the lights, wire, and all the other stuff you need you're at the price of the Vision-X lights. Plus my lights are all 55w so the draw is big compared to the LED's. I will have to upgrade the 22RE alt. I have the GM to Toyota Alternator Bracket from ToolBox Guy on Pirate.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I used the old 'fog lights' that came on the truck; they seem to work fine but I'd go for LEDs if you've got a stock charging system. Between those, the front light, radio and CB, my stock alternator isn't too happy.

LEDs are now on "The List".

>>Dan

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would like to add a set! Look good,i just dont like the huge control box.. Could hard wire..

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I would like to add a set! Look good,i just dont like the huge control box.. Could hard wire..
the kit comes with a wireless remote. I have my control box mounted up out of sight but still accessible behind some things in my dash and primarily use the remote to control them. simple :D

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Really? A remote control for your rock lights? Is that necessary?

Fuse holder, fuse, a switch, a roll of 18g wire, some cheap LEDs, a few crimp connectors, a roll of electrical tape. Done. And if you're like me and already have this crap laying around for some odd reason... free? I am a cheap motherf$&*er though.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts

Fuse holder, fuse, a switch, a roll of 18g wire, some cheap LEDs, a few crimp connectors, a roll of electrical tape. Done. And if you're like me and already have this crap laying around for some odd reason... free? I am a cheap motherf$&*er though.
far from necessary. but when the alternatives are an ugly box or wasting time breaking something that aint broke so I can fix it and wire in my own switch, fuck it, ill leave it alone. ;)

·
7,735 Posts

Your solution does not involve 15 different disco strobe effects to choose from :D.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Your solution does not involve 15 different disco strobe effects to choose from :D.
Neither do these, but I think this is what I'm gonna end up going with

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-light

A cheaper option is 5 meters (15 ft) of superbright LED flex strip for < $30 on ebay here - I bought one of these reels of flex LEDs and, yes, they are probably bright enough (depending on how bright you want/need - I would prefer enough to see by but not completely lose my night vision)

·
Registered
101 Posts
well for what it's worth here's a pic of mine with 3 pairs of the walmart $18 specials. yes it pulls a lot of amps(27) but im putting out 90 amps at idle so it's not a issue for me. good luck with your search.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Neither do these, but I think this is what I'm gonna end up going with

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-light

A cheaper option is 5 meters (15 ft) of superbright LED flex strip for < $30 on ebay here - I bought one of these reels of flex LEDs and, yes, they are probably bright enough (depending on how bright you want/need - I would prefer enough to see by but not completely lose my night vision)
I like those, almost look like the same light as the tantrums, just with out the control boxes.. I dont want disco lights anyway

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

Hmmm... I recall someone wanting a guinea pig late model truck to build a plug and play electrical accessories box and the first thing to be added was LED rock lights. Then his ADD kicked in and now he has just spare parts lying around. :D

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Ha! I like how they're named "roundeyes" but there's a rising sun in the store logo. Zing!

BTW they look great and I can see myself spending $ for a few in the future. Waterproof? Yes, please!

>>Dan

1 - 20 of 43 Posts