TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
well for what it's worth here's a pic of mine with 3 pairs of the walmart $18 specials. yes it pulls a lot of amps(27) but im putting out 90 amps at idle so it's not a issue for me. good luck with your search.
Those look purdy dang good !

I have 8 of them :dancing:
Tho' one of these days... I'd like to install some 35w bulbs.

The VisionX Tantrum lights don't seem bright enough for my needs...
but... they sure put on a bling show :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6oqGKHCa7E

·
7,735 Posts
I'm running OffroadOnly.com's led pods. 3x1w led's per pod, molded in some sort of resin along with a good strong magnet. I've been really happy, and pretty surprised that the magnets actually hold those things on really good! I've only lost one, and that's because I failed to move it from the bottom of my front x-member before running carnage. Having magnets in the pod is very handy. I'll be running one up in my engine bay, simply stick it to the hood, move it around depending on where I need light. Same with the ones around the frame.

the down side is these things were really expensive, I probably wouldn't buy them again.

I got the amber, so it's tough to tell how it compares to the bright white tantrum's. I just don't like the super bright white at night. Tends to ruin night vision.

Those ones from dealextreme look really bright. I'd love to see them in amber and with a magnet.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
These are getting some good results over on pirate:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/waterproof-28w-7000k-1200lm-80x5050-smd-led-white-light-strip-dc-12v-91953

Apparently this is only five of them:

Less than 2W per LED, waterproof, and it comes with 20 individual lights for $26. They also come in green and red. Supposedly they are way brighter than the VisionX Tantrums. I've got 20 of each color on the way!
Ekj and I both have sets of these on the way! Mine should be here anyday.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have six of the LED strips from TG. Still Need to install them...mine might be more ricer since I got them in blue. To match the truck since I don't see myself night wheeling much. I had store credit that I needed to use haha but I'm excited to eventually see how they look.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have six of the LED strips from TG. Still Need to install them...mine might be more ricer since I got them in blue. To match the truck since I don't see myself night wheeling much. I had store credit that I needed to use haha but I'm excited to eventually see how they look.
Did the same thing and the same color and I still need to install them.

I picked blue because I think it will have less of an impact on my night vision, so the jury is out on that when and if I wheel at night.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Did the same thing and the same color and I still need to install them.

I picked blue because I think it will have less of an impact on my night vision, so the jury is out on that when and if I wheel at night.
blue, other than white, is the worst color for your night vision. Night vision is dependent on the rods in your eyes adapting to lower light conditions and dominating light reception from the cones. Cones are receptive to color where rods are receptive to intensity (white and black). By stimulating your eye with high frequency colored light it will attenuate the rods abilities to distinguish patterns of low intensity (dark).

·
20,355 Posts
I am probably just going to go with the tantrums. Not the brightest but easy and the price is right. On the trail from my experience rocklights are more for th3e spotter/once you are stuck so I wouldn't worry as much about their effect on night vision personally.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
blue, other than white, is the worst color for your night vision. Night vision is dependent on the rods in your eyes adapting to lower light conditions and dominating light reception from the cones. Cones are receptive to color where rods are receptive to intensity (white and black). By stimulating your eye with high frequency colored light it will attenuate the rods abilities to distinguish patterns of low intensity (dark).
What would you suggest for a better color?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
red does the least to damage night vision. orange, then yellow next. but like we all have seen at some point, red also doesnt illuminate very well. out on the trail when you have headlights, rock lights, flashlights, ect eyesight never truly adapts to darkness anyway.

·
7,735 Posts
out on the trail when you have headlights, rock lights, flashlights, ect eyesight never truly adapts to darkness anyway.
or if you're ahead of someone with a light bar that's as bright as 3 suns. :rolleyes:

Red is only good if there's absolutely no other light anywhere... then it seems perfectly sufficient. The more time you spend in complete darkness, the more your eyes adapt to low light conditions.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
or if you're ahead of someone with a light bar that's as bright as 3 suns. :rolleyes:

Red is only good if there's absolutely no other light anywhere... then it seems perfectly sufficient. The more time you spend in complete darkness, the more your eyes adapt to low light conditions.
so what if I like to see where im going? :rofl:

·
7,735 Posts
turn off the sun, adjust your eyesight, then both of us can see.

Then problem with super bright lights on the trail, is that once you use them, you have to have super bright lights on anything else you want to look at. If you go with a lower light solution and adjust your eyesight, you don't have to have a light on every damn thing you look at.

If you want to wheel in the daylight, then don't go night wheeling. :rofl:

·
Registered
25 Posts
turn off the sun, adjust your eyesight, then both of us can see.

Then problem with super bright lights on the trail, is that once you use them, you have to have super bright lights on anything else you want to look at. If you go with a lower light solution and adjust your eyesight, you don't have to have a light on every damn thing you look at.

If you want to wheel in the daylight, then don't go night wheeling. :rofl:
So what you're saying...

Moar lights!

·
7,735 Posts
The funny part is with all my bitching and moaning here, I need to add a couple of lights to my rig so i can see what's directly in front of my front tires. :lmao::lmao:

Wait, what was this thread about before we hijacked it?

·
7,735 Posts
Purely coincidental, I just ran across a thread on pirate about this topic. It goes into the scientific stuff that Avsfreak brought up. The first post is from a vendor about how/why they pick the led's that they do, but if you keep reading the thread, there's some discussion about color temp, etc.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1050490

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've always known that red was better for night...funny though how blue is better in bright light. Relaxes the eyes.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts