TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
What I need to check before buying a rock slider? They have somes at 200$ and others at 500$ ... Some person have sugestion or opinion about some rock sliders they have? I got tacoma extcab 99.

I'm looking if I buy or doing it.

Thanks for info
David

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Dude,

First of all...grammar and spelling...please study and practice. I could barely understand what the hell you were asking.

2nd, this has been discussed to death...use the search button.

All Pro, Bent-Up, 4 crawler you can't go wrong. Make sure there is enough space between the top of the slider and the bottom of the cab. Also make sure that it can support the weight of the truck. Various debates as to whether you should drill or weld. I chose to weld.

·
Registered
587 Posts
dbourre said:
Hi,
What I need to check before buying a rock slider? They have somes at 200$ and others at 500$ ... Some person have sugestion or opinion about some rock sliders they have? I got tacoma extcab 99.

I'm looking if I buy or doing it.

Thanks for info
David
Dude WTF happened? did you drop out of school after 2nd grade or some shit?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
:rofl:

I bought the ones at www.trail-gear.com for 200 bucks. Probably not the best for hardcore rock crawling since they are just straight without extra rear rocker panel protection, but I'm not a hardcore rock crawler so it doesn't matter.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I built my own, and I can say, that after making them, I probaby won't make another set for anyone else unless it's for me. Took over a month or so to make them, but boy was it worth it.

I used Sch 40 1.5" pipe (the OD is 1.9") and I bolted them on using all the stock holes. The front incorporates the frame hole on the side and the tranny crossmember, and the back two utilize a U that bolts through the stock locations. I chose this design over welding because I felt it distributes the pressure more, and I can remove it when needed.

Note that doing it this way takes a lot of time because the holes must line up. Even when welding, I had to take it in place, take it down, then weld a long stick of metal between all the mounting brackets. The metal still warped a little bit (probably 1/16" on al the holes). If I did not do this I can't even imagine how much it would have warped.

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32167&page=1&highlight=slider+design

You can read through this thread. There is a lot of information and at the end is the finished product.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
=ACID RAIN= said:
:rofl:

I bought the ones at www.trail-gear.com for 200 bucks. Probably not the best for hardcore rock crawling since they are just straight without extra rear rocker panel protection, but I'm not a hardcore rock crawler so it doesn't matter.
Trail-gears sliders are plenty strong enough for hardcore stuff.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Intrepid said:
Trail-gears sliders are plenty strong enough for hardcore stuff.
Didn't say they weren't. I said they don't have a kickout on the side, for those that want more protection at the extra/double cab back half.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
5vzfe said:
Dude WTF happened? did you drop out of school after 2nd grade or some shit?
He's from Quebec, i.e. French is his first language... His English is probably better than your second language.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Question, would 1.5" dom be ok, or should I go with 1.75" dom?
thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
dbourre
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing