TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well I would recommend Yakima racks. They are well built. The basic set up is about $275.00. That would include the Qtowers, Q clips(adapter kit) 58"cross bars and a 4pk of locks. Once you have it on there you can add carriers for bikes,canoes, kayaks, skies, snow boards,cargo baskets/boxes etc. You can get it from most bike/canoe/kayak/outdoor retailers. Some small retailer will do free installation so make sure you ask.

The nice thing is that you can switch them between vehicles by getting a different adaptor kit to fit you next truck/car.

There is another brand called Thule however thye do not make a rack system to go over the roof of the tacoma.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Nullifier said:
Well I would recommend Yakima racks. They are well built. The basic set up is about $275.00. That would include the Qtowers, Q clips(adapter kit) 58"cross bars and a 4pk of locks. Once you have it on there you can add carriers for bikes,canoes, kayaks, skies, snow boards,cargo baskets/boxes etc. You can get it from most bike/canoe/kayak/outdoor retailers. Some small retailer will do free installation so make sure you ask.

The nice thing is that you can switch them between vehicles by getting a different adaptor kit to fit you next truck/car.

There is another brand called Thule however thye do not make a rack system to go over the roof of the tacoma.
Got any pictures of yours?

·
Registered
185 Posts
adamgil said:
looking to get a roof rack for my 02' double cab. wondering which brands are reliable and the cheapest route to go.
I just bought an OEM Toyota rack for the Dub cab on Ebay for 136.00. Brand new with a 1 year Toyota factory warranty. Do a search on Ebay, They may still have more there....I believe it was a Toyota dealer in Fla that was blowin them out.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
KenRiceHilo said:
Does anyone know how much weight the roof of a double cab can handle?
Two ulua.. or 7 papio, or 1/5 a Samoan dry land kumu, I believe... :xdevil:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
I just bought an OEM Toyota rack for the Dub cab on Ebay for 136.00. Brand new with a 1 year Toyota factory warranty. Do a search on Ebay, They may still have more there....I believe it was a Toyota dealer in Fla that was blowin them out.

That sounds like a good price. How hard is install? I am guessing you have to drill roof?

Bruce

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nullifier said:

how stable is your yakima rack? i need to have a rack that is stable enough to carry 100-150 lb while offroading.

·
Registered
59 Posts
KenRiceHilo said:
Does anyone know how much weight the roof of a double cab can handle?
The factory rack says 100 lbs... the ebay rack is rated for 75 lbs. I think it mostly depends on the mounting location.

·
Registered
185 Posts
mycirus said:
That sounds like a good price. How hard is install? I am guessing you have to drill roof?

Bruce
Just got mine in today. Doesn't look too tough to install. The headliner is not required to come out, so its just a matter of measuring & drilling all from the top. One of the other members here did one & he said it wasn't that tough. Wish me luck! :welder: (drilling)...

·
Registered
41 Posts
that kit sucks. i put it in without removing the head liner and it was not sturdy at all. if its just for looks it will work ok but I wanted to put my yakima towers on top of the ebay rack. I really really wish I would of spent the money on a new set of q towers and not tried to use the towers I had off my sport trac. I ended up removing the head liner and bolting it on. I really don't think its that sturdy. the tacomas that had a factory rackinstalled had extra braces built into the roof

·
Registered
185 Posts
djmudflap said:
that kit sucks. i put it in without removing the head liner and it was not sturdy at all. if its just for looks it will work ok but I wanted to put my yakima towers on top of the ebay rack. I really really wish I would of spent the money on a new set of q towers and not tried to use the towers I had off my sport trac. I ended up removing the head liner and bolting it on. I really don't think its that sturdy. the tacomas that had a factory rackinstalled had extra braces built into the roof
Did you use the riv nuts as instructed?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
You are not as cool as you think you are...
Actually, I am a LOT cooler than you think I am. SO, my mahu warrior, take a rest. :xdevil:

·
Registered
185 Posts
djmudflap said:

Well Im gonna have to agree with you on that one. The kit does suck. Its definately not the OEM ones that you used to be able to order as an option from Toyota. And on top of all that, the FUKKN thing is broken. DeLand Toyota SUCKS! Now I gotta return the damn thing & they want to charge me a 20% restock fee. I just pissed my money right down the drain..... :banghead:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts