TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the 2008 TTORA TakeOver in Harlan, Kentucky I was the lucky winner of the Camping Lab Roof-Top-Tent (RTT).

The first thing I had to do, before I called and redeemed my prize, was figure out some way to mount the damn thing to my truck!

I took some measurements for some cross-beams, and got on the phone with Adam at 4xInnovations, and he came through for me YET AGAIN!. I wanted the bars to be wide enough to be able to mount most cargo baskets, or the RTT, and I wanted them high enough to clear my spare tire. That way either a basket or the RTT could hang over the tire, instead of hanging over my toolbox. He fab'd up a set of cross beams based on my measurements and sent them to me.

When I got them - I was surprised to learn that I must have measured something wrong, because they fit P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y ! ! ! That couldn't be right! I couldn't believe how good they fit!

-----ENTER CAMPING LAB-----

I called Fernando at Camping Lab, and told him that I was the winner of the RTT at TakeOver, and he asked for my address, and found the nearest truck freight depot, and shipped the tent out the next business day. He gave me daily updates via e-mail, and called me to make sure that I knew my tent had arrived at the freight terminal. His customer service could not have made me happier! Fantastic customer service at Camping Lab!

So yesterday I mounted the cross beams, and today I opened up the HUGE tent box, and proceeded to put everything together.

With a little common sense, all the mounting hardware is easy to figure out, and can be done by one person. But the tent itself weighs about 92 lbs, so you will need an extra set of hands to lift the tent on to your roof rack (and take it down).

Once you get the tent up on the rack, and get it bolted securely into place with the supplied hardware, the tent is a piece of cake to erect. Anyone who has very much experience at all with putting up tents, would have no trouble figuring this one out. Now that I've done it once, I bet I could have this tent up in about 3 minutes by myself.

PICS!!!!

BTW - the tent comes with a VERY NICE AND SOFT interior mattress that covers the entire floor of the tent! That thing is SOOOOOOOOO COMFORTABLE!!! I cant wait to sleep in there. Maybe I'll sleep out there tonight!

·
Registered
349 Posts
what, no pics of/from the interior?

Looks great!

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what, no pics of/from the interior?
By the time I thought of that, I had already closed and covered the tent. I'll get some later, though.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
awesome! i like it. how much does one of them tents run normally when you dont win them in a raffle?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
very cool.

D

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
thats pretty sweet man. i think you should give it to me;)

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
NIce I like it. how long does it take to set up the tent.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
597 Posts
Love the avatar GOTCOPE

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
DOH

Well thats what you get for putting text in the middle of pics:D

·
Registered
680 Posts
yeah going to have to get one.... if they navy wasnt paying to move you it would save some money thats for sure.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nice i'm jealous.

How stable is it climbing up it and moving around in it?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
28 Participants
CYi5
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing