TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past couple days ive been trying to search for an answer but cant find one so im now asking for some help....

First this problem is happening to my '93 3.0 v6 5spd. The main problem im having is that when coming to a stop vehicle will sometimes stall and if it doesnt then the idle seems real rough(i dont have a tach so i dont know rpms's). Appears to happen after its driven a little ways and warms up a little (i think my stat is stuck open cause it wont warm up all the way). At about the same time my acceleration from a stop seems more sluggish than normal. If i keep one foot on the accel. pedal then it wont die but once i let go it drops. check engine light also comes on after driving but when i shut off the truck and restart it wont appear again for a few minutes. I still have to try and pull the code but any info on what could possibly cause this id appreciate it!

parts that im currently replacing are:
dist. cap and rotor, spark plugs/wire and will be changin the thermostat.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just checked the code and 52 came up(5 blinks then 2)...ive been searching and it says knock sensor signal. either knock sensor or ecu?? will this cause my rough idle/stall?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
BigzTaco said:
i just checked the code and 52 came up(5 blinks then 2)...ive been searching and it says knock sensor signal. either knock sensor or ecu?? will this cause my rough idle/stall?
That definitely won't help. Order a new sensor (perhaps from one of our sponsors) and slap it in.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just a thought.

Gettin shitty milage? I had similar syptoms with a 02 sensor being dead. Not sayin thats it just some similar symptoms. If you are getting less fuel at idle (throttle body closed as far as it would), usually the engine will wind up a little bit then die. If you get too much fuel it will usually bog or somethin (with the butterfly valve closed as far as it will, at idle) and maybe die. What did your old plugs look like? If they were black and carbony that is usually a sign of too much fuel. Which, finally lol, is a symptom of a dead O2 sensor. It sends a signal to the computer to give more fuel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so far ive replaced everything except the t-stat. Plugs looked ok, the cap and rotor were worn but it still only stalls/idles rough at warm up. Im going out of town this wkend so i wont get to working on it till next wk.

I also cleared the code and rechecked it after it reappeared and its still 52(knock sensor).
where exactly is the sensor located on the 3.0 v6's? pictures would be great.
If possible ill just replace it, then clear the codes and see what happens.

-thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine just started doing this too :(. i usually idle right under 1000, but everynow and then it will idle at like 500 once its warmed up. It also idles a little over 1000 when i first start it in the morning. I think that parts normal though. Plus what he said, whats a knock sensor and where is it lol?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, im back from my trip and while driving the '93 i noticed that if the blower is on it wont die on me. itll idle rough but wont die.
ill also try checking my rpms sometime this wk.(since i dont have a tach in the truck) and if too low then just adjust a little bit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
well, i fixed the cooling issue....as i was replacing the t-stat i noticed that the old t-stat wasnt even there!! just the outer ring was sitting inside so someone had cut the spring portion out so its continuously flowing. Now the temp gauge sits at half. (going to have to buy an electric cause of over heating issue i may have now.)

after im done doing an induction service im going to check my idle and see if it gets better.

**EDIT- truck seems to idle better but now temp gauge is up at about 3/4...not good! and i found out my exhaust is literally about to fall off, i guess my desert trip last wkend didnt help it with all the jumping and whoops i did....lol

awww....an ongoing project! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey BigZTaco, I had a really rough idle on my 96 taco and it was the fan clutch. Replaced that and my idle was much smoother. I mean the whole truck was shakin..I still need to replace the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
514 Posts
BigzTaco said:
so far ive replaced everything except the t-stat. Plugs looked ok, the cap and rotor were worn but it still only stalls/idles rough at warm up. Im going out of town this wkend so i wont get to working on it till next wk.

I also cleared the code and rechecked it after it reappeared and its still 52(knock sensor).
where exactly is the sensor located on the 3.0 v6's? pictures would be great.
If possible ill just replace it, then clear the codes and see what happens.

-thanks
That knock sensor is a problem if its similiar to OBD2 knock sensor where you are put in limp mode with super rich a/f ratio and max timing retard. Which kills mileage and power. And its deep, no ones gonna have pics of that since its like a 4hr. job to replace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
VF'N8
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing