TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 Taco 2.7 idles rough. I have a small tapping noise coming from the engine, originally i just dismissed it as being lifter adj. I shimmed my lifters + checked compression and all the noise left the engine (easy to do once you have the right tool) except for one. I has the sound like a rod nock but its not, its higher up on the motor and seems to be coming from the front of the engine my the cam tensioner. The tensioner seems to be working fine since the chain shows very little wear, but a buddy of mine told me about a friends experience w/ this. He claims that his balance shaft acctually egged out where the bearing rides and destroyed the bearings. Only way to replace the bearing and balance shaft is to replace the block because the bearings are not servicable. Can You Believe That! Anyone here of such things? All Help would be greatly appriciated!
Ken

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
I do remember somebody mentioning recently that they replaced both timing chains and the main chain for the cams was fine, but the chain for the balance shafts was very stretched. That chain is way low in the engine, so that really wouldn't explain why you have a tapping sound up high in the engine.

·
Registered
871 Posts

Those engines have been noisy for a long time. If it is really bad then you should pull apart the timng chain. If its just noisy, then don't worry about it. I've seen dealer techs fight with that noise on both the 2.4 and 2.7 without ever getting it completely gone. As far as the idle is concerned, check your plugs and replace if worn. Otherwise, beat the crap out of it, even though those engines are noisy, very few ever have major problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts