TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just test drove a new 2007 Tacoma with manual 6-speed. Fun truck EXCEPT when shifting at casual speeds, the revs would not come down quickly enough to execute a nice smooth shift. Yes, yes I know it's part of the emissions sytem, but honestly, this would keep me from buying one. I actually think it is partially to blame for the sticky shifting I've read about in the forums. Are there any answers available from the aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I like, makes for and easy shift once you get used it to

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Gadget said:
Get the auto.

That throttle by wire system is butter smooth on the autos but blow for the manuals.
Never drove the manual, but I gotta say that the "Fly by wire" throttle works REALLY good with the auto transmission.

I gotta agree with Gadget- get the auto.

·
Registered
116 Posts
...and to think, I thought it was just me needing to re-learn how to clutch (my last truck was a '79 Toy 4x4 with a 4spd man).

The clutch itself does seem a little... abrupt. My wife is having a hell of a time with it, but now that I'm used to where it grabs I'm fine with it.

Aside from sounding like some manual newb who can't control the throttle the "RPM hang-up" doesn't really both me. What does bother me is that the shifting seems extremely slow, and this is from a guy who was using a '4 on the floor' up until a few days ago. It's making me lust for the TRD short shifter kit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
bigbadyoda said:
I like, makes for and easy shift once you get used it to

What's the trick?

Do you hold the gas pedal steady while you shift and the computer controls the RPM?

Or do you roll the throttle off and on like you would with a normal manual?

I'm at the point where most of my shifts are steady, but I'll occasionally get a big shudder that makes me look/feel like a newb and I can't understand why it's doing it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just put 1000 miles on my new 07 (Sport Package, 4.0 six speed) and I am fed up with this computer controlled throttle. If I had known about this BS, I would have bought an auto. Is there any way to disable this "computer assist"?

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, but after awhile you get used to it and it doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore. I also find it helps if you just push the clutch in 'just far enough' rather than all the way to the floor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've driven it, and I've driven a lot of other cars with DBW. I think the problem is not only the drive by wire, but that the Tacoma has a really heavy flywheel- which is great for towing and such, but you have to shift it slowly. It won't be like some older mid-size trucks it will be more like a newer full size truck - you really can't rush the shift. That said, the DBW works great with the auto. In fact supposedly there is a different throttle position map for 4LO which makes it easier to control in low gearing - some trucks require you to be super light on the throttle because they'll get jumpy. Wtih DBW you can eliminate that need.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The shifting is a little off but you do get use to it. I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with the rpm's jumping up to about 2000 when coming to a stop and shifting to neutral. If anyone else has had this happen does it stop or am I going to have to take my new truck with only 700 miles in for warranty work?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
When comming to a stop they do stay up around 1500+ untill you get about 7 mph or you are slowing in 6th gear.

I'be just gotten used to the shitfting. I don't give it much gas at all.. I got used to it with 100 miles.

ONly thing I don't like about the new trucks is they don't have shit down low compared to the -04.. Those bitches were torque monsters......

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the problem is not only the drive by wire, but that the Tacoma has a really heavy flywheel- which is great for towing and such, but you have to shift it slowly.
I didn't know that but it makes alot of sense.

I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with the rpm's jumping up to about 2000 when coming to a stop and shifting to neutral.
Only when the engine's cold and still in high idle. Once it's warmed up the RPM drops down to somewhere between 500 and 800rpm.

·
Registered
232 Posts
shift a little slower
dont drive it like a sports car and you will learn it ... I did it slow for a while and now I can shift fast with no problems.

hard to explain but let the clutch out 1/3 then gas as the clutch comes out the other 2/3 of the way.... ish:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
for me I had to get used to the fact that most of the petal play is useless and the last little bit is all you have to use. Get used to it 'cause when you do you'll find that you can speed shift really, really well. The clutch does a great job of grabbing and has very little slip so your pedal imput is very noticeable( as pointed out by your passengers grabbing their necks lol) As for the auto, nothing beats grabbing 6 gears.(except grabbing 6 breasts:boobies:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
The shifting is a little off but you do get use to it. I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with the rpm's jumping up to about 2000 when coming to a stop and shifting to neutral. If anyone else has had this happen does it stop or am I going to have to take my new truck with only 700 miles in for warranty work?
I experience have experienced the same thing, but it usually drops down to 800 shortly after I stop. If you ignore it, you won't notice it.

I do not have any problems with shifting. The throttle seems to work fine. It took a little while to get used to, coming from a VW, but I have no complaints.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have the 6 speed nad will agree it is a quirky thing to drive. i like letting my frinds drive it and laugh when they cant shift it smooth or stall it. shifting slow and getting used ti where the sweet spot is will help you be abel to shift faster. i shift that shit like im driving a rental corvette. beat it till it breaks, then laugh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts